Thread: Running e2fsck on an encrypted removable device

Beans

Running e2fsck on an encrypted removable device

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but here it goes.

I have an encrypted flash drive (ecryptfs) and it's begun to complain in dmesg

Code:
    EXT4-fs (dm-1): warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
    but I'm at a loss how to do it. Manpage with its options is typical gibberish to this blockhead. Still, I'd definitely like to run that check to make sure the encrypted partition won't be damaged at some point and none of the important data get lost in the process. When mounted, the drive will show up as either /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, but if it's unmounted/still encrypted and I try for example
    Code:
    e2fsck -n /dev/sdb1
    it just blurts out
    Code:
    e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
    e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb1

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
    filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
        e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
    and I'm none the wiser. Is there any way to do it correctly, or do I have to always reformat/repartition that drive, encrypt the partition and copy the data back onto it, until the maximum mount count warning reappears, and do it all over again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Running e2fsck on an encrypted removable device

I threw the error into Google, which is what I'd recommend since the results are plentiful (and largely redundant, it seems). The message doesn't really appear to be an error, actually, more of a suggestion, but I'm not absolutely certain. It appears that certain types of file systems have a setting which will cause this message to come up every 30 times they are mounted. Something similar actually happens when I boot up my system every so often, in that it runs a file system check during startup, but it happens on its own. I suppose it's possible with removable storage that it needs to be done manually. Over time, corruption happens and it's best to check for it, is the sense I'm getting from what I've read in the last couple minutes.

EDIT: Oh, and I think you're getting the message from e2fsck because it's expecting an ext2 file system but the format of your drive is ext4.
    Last edited by OpSecShellshock; October 8th, 2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/n View Post
    Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but here it goes.

I have an encrypted flash drive (ecryptfs) and it's begun to complain in dmesg

Code:
    EXT4-fs (dm-1): warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
    but I'm at a loss how to do it. Manpage with its options is typical gibberish to this blockhead. Still, I'd definitely like to run that check to make sure the encrypted partition won't be damaged at some point and none of the important data get lost in the process. When mounted, the drive will show up as either /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, but if it's unmounted/still encrypted and I try for example
    Code:
    e2fsck -n /dev/sdb1
    it just blurts out
    Code:
    e2fsck: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
    e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb1

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
    filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
        e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
    and I'm none the wiser. Is there any way to do it correctly, or do I have to always reformat/repartition that drive, encrypt the partition and copy the data back onto it, until the maximum mount count warning reappears, and do it all over again?
    Are you sure this drive is encrypted with ecryptfs? Or is it LUKS?
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OpSecShellshock View Post
    The message doesn't really appear to be an error, actually, more of a suggestion, but I'm not absolutely certain. It appears that certain types of file systems have a setting which will cause this message to come up every 30 times they are mounted. Something similar actually happens when I boot up my system every so often, in that it runs a file system check during startup, but it happens on its own. I suppose it's possible with removable storage that it needs to be done manually. Over time, corruption happens and it's best to check for it, is the sense I'm getting from what I've read in the last couple minutes.
    I know it's only a suggestion at this point, and I'd like to be able to check the partition before any actual errors come up that threaten the data stored on the partition. Sure I know about and have witnessed the file system check at startup numerous times, but for an encrypted removable device, it doesn't run automatically like that (or I don't know how to set it up, hence my call for help).

EDIT: Oh, and I think you're getting the message from e2fsck because it's expecting an ext2 file system but the format of your drive is ext4.
    e2fsprogs should handle not only ext2 but ext3 and ext4 as well (at least according to its description in Synaptic). After all, isn't it the same program that checks the hard drive partitions?

@ FuturePilot:

I may have been a bit confused. I used the gnome-disk-utility (palimpsest) to originally format the flash drive and create the encrypted partition. It's just that ecryptfs was required for it to work.

Beans
    Distro

@ FuturePilot:

I may have been a bit confused. I used the gnome-disk-utility (palimpsest) to originally format the flash drive and create the encrypted partition. It's just that ecryptfs was required for it to work.
    That's definitely encrypted with LUKS. I'm not sure how it would be tied to ecryptfs though. (maybe installing ecryptfs pulled in cryptsetup?) Anyway, you need to unlock it before you can fsck it.

Code:
    sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb1 foo
    You can use whatever name you want for foo. It should ask you then for the password. Then you can run
    Code:
    sudo fsck /dev/mapper/foo
    Though, if you're using Gnome there may be a possibility that it's already unlocked if you have allowed gnome-keyring to save the password. In that case you just have to find it in /dev/mapper. It's probably the one that begins with udisks-luks-uuid. Just make sure it's unmounted first.
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/mapper/udisks-luks-uuid-blahblahblah
    Quote Originally Posted by OpSecShellshock View Post

e2fsck is part of e2fsprogs. I'm not sure why they kept the e2 name but it works with all Ext file systems.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD

Beans

Okay, so when I ran

Code:
    it responded
    Code:
    device-mapper: remove ioctl failed: Device or resource busy
    Key slot 0 unlocked.
    mounted the partition (should it have?) and opened it, so I manually unmounted it and then tried
    Code:
    sudo fsck /dev/mapper/szs
    with the following output:

Code:
    e2fsck 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
    /dev/mapper/szs has been mounted 29 times without being checked, check forced.
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information
    /dev/mapper/szs: 2031/62720 files (0.1% non-contiguous), 53513/250878 blocks
    It was done really quickly, in a few seconds, so I wonder if it actually checked everything. Apparently, no errors were found.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    e2fsck is part of e2fsprogs. I'm not sure why they kept the e2 name but it works with all Ext file systems.
    I gotcha. I figured that it was either the format or the encryption, and it seems to have been the encryption, which makes sense.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, so when I ran

Code:
    it responded
    Code:
    device-mapper: remove ioctl failed: Device or resource busy
    Key slot 0 unlocked.
    mounted the partition (should it have?) and opened it, so I manually unmounted it and then tried
    Code:
    sudo fsck /dev/mapper/szs
    with the following output:

Code:
    e2fsck 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
    /dev/mapper/szs has been mounted 29 times without being checked, check forced.
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information
    /dev/mapper/szs: 2031/62720 files (0.1% non-contiguous), 53513/250878 blocks
    It was done really quickly, in a few seconds, so I wonder if it actually checked everything. Apparently, no errors were found.
    No it definitely checked everything. Running fsck on Ext4 is extremely fast because it doesn't have to check unused space.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    No it definitely checked everything. Running fsck on Ext4 is extremely fast because it doesn't have to check unused space.
    All right then. Thanks a lot for your help. Now when I mounted the encrypted partition again, dmesg no longer complained about maximal mount count, so it worked. Have a safe flight.