Thread: Virtual box issue

Beans

Virtual box issue

I had an older version of Ubuntu installed along with Win XP. Today I installed Ubuntu 11.04 through a live Cd with Virtual box. But I still see only Win XP and the older Ubuntu as the options will booting in BIOS. I want to replace the older one with 11.04. WHats the issue over here? Any advice?

Beans

Re: Virtual box issue

Quote Originally Posted by Pranit_j View Post
    I had an older version of Ubuntu installed along with Win XP. Today I installed Ubuntu 11.04 through a live Cd with Virtual box. But I still see only Win XP and the older Ubuntu as the options will booting in BIOS. I want to replace the older one with 11.04. WHats the issue over here? Any advice?
    you want to boot your machine into a virtual machine you have installed ?

you cant do that
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Could you explain the diff between an actual install and a virtualbox one? Which one is worth keeping?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pranit_j View Post
    Could you explain the diff between an actual install and a virtualbox one? Which one is worth keeping?
    a virtual machine is so you can run a virtual instance of another operating system in your existing one.

as for worth keeping, LOL you cant get rid of your installed one (well you can) but that gets rid of everything else.

virtualisation means you can multiple instances of an operating system in a window, so you can boot into your Ubuntu or into your Xp and still use XP or Ubuntu or debian or FreeBSD or whatever you like in a window
    Last edited by haqking; October 8th, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013