Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your first thoughts on Dapper?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Your first thoughts on Dapper?

I've been using it for some weeks. There are some glitches, but for a free OS it's remarkable. The developers and beta testers did a great job. excellent. As I am a developer I hope to make some contributions in the future.

Beans

Dapper is horrible thus far. So far all I see in the forums are people complaining about how when they upgrade from Breezy to Dapper, they lose X etc. Its so bad that I can't even boot the live cd. What gives? I know that developing a small website let alone an OS can be an overwhelming task. I just wish there was a little bit more quality control. The RC shouldn't have made the final cut so soon. Let us supporters test the RC's etc., submit bug reports before being quick to call a half baked RC a final. Well, it looks like I will be waiting for Edgy.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Dapper is THE most boring OS I have ever used. Between a flawless and quick install and Automatix it took me no time to get up and running. There was a little quirk with network-manager but that was a simple enough fix (although admittedly the info on the forums was good for someone proficient like me but a newbie would have been lost). The only thing I have left is devilspie but that's not something regular people use.

So far so good really, it is a good OS with alot of little annoyances fixed. Even my wireless is working with WPA w/o having to jump through hoops and config files.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I really like to constantly investigate distributions as they release, I've got VMware on almost all of my machines and usually have 8-10 images of different distros of linux/BSD sitting on my drives at any given time. Out of all of the recent releases, Dapper has impressed me the most, hands down.

The critical points that made me really like Dapper as opposed to other recent releases:
    • The laptop support is unparalleled. Period. The end.
    • Dapper runs much faster than most distros on my hardware. It runs much faster than Breezy as well, which was somewhat sluggish.
    • The developers took a very aggressive stance with new features and re-organizations. To take on such ambitious projects, I think the Dapper release went extraordinarily well. There are going to be lots of bugs for the first few weeks, bugs that probably weren't turned up by a much smaller population of testers. But like most issues, the developers will get to them eventually. Overall, for all of the new stuff, Dapper is very well off.
    • Wireless is steadily getting easier to get working with each release. With Dapper, we now see a spiffed up ipw2200 and a newly available broadcom driver. As I'm in a LUG that actively helps people install Linux on a wide variety of hardware, this has been a huge hit and a great blessing to us and all of our members running Ubuntu. Wireless is truely one of the biggest hurdles for getting Linux running well on laptops.
    • Package selection. This has always been a plus to Ubuntu. Making use of the vast army of packagers rolling Debian and Ubuntu packages, combined with the unquestionable power of APT, Dapper continues to show with great force in terms of software selection.

I am eagerly looking forward to Edgy. I do hope it can pick up the momentum Dapper set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am generally very pleased with the RC install updated. The only thing broken is the update manager which I put in a late bug report on, other then that I'll do a clean install probably this weekend to see if that fixes the problem.
    One thing for sure is ubuntu has converted this old kde dog to a gnome fan.
    cheers - gabbman
    Linux, The Desktop of Choice

Beans

Lots of work and changes went into Ubuntu but almost nothing in Kubuntu

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345