Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Antivirus

I know that I don't need an antivirus, but I'm working with Windows users all the time and sending attachments, and I'm also kind of paranoid. What's the best Linux AV? I don't like ClamAV, and it's the only one in the Ubuntu repositories, so what's the best Linux antivirus?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Antivirus

Aunty Virus? Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

IMO running antivirus is completely unnecessary on a Linux Desktop.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That's a plus about ubuntu. You've got a steel wall around your PC with no Windows to let any viruses in.
    Dell Inspiron 1318 | Intel Processor | Running a much hacked and patched windows vista and windows 7 in VirtualBox and dual-booting into ubuntu with Gnome and KDE installed on it. | Ubuntu wins!

Dangertux is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You know I'd been curious about the debate of "Linux anti-malware" solutions. So I did a little research on it, and tested several of the "popular" AV solutions against multiple files that should be found as malicious based on heuristics alone.

They didn't find it, the one's that worked properly. IMO Linux AV is a complete waste of time, and if someone does decide to start writing malware for linux we're all going to be playing catch up. However, with the current state of Linux AV solutions I wouldn't bother, it's a waste of cpu time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Orcris View Post
    I know that I don't need an antivirus, but I'm working with Windows users all the time and sending attachments, and I'm also kind of paranoid. What's the best Linux AV? I don't like ClamAV, and it's the only one in the Ubuntu repositories, so what's the best Linux antivirus?
    I think you are on the right track as I work with many windows computers (friends) and I would hate to think I may have infected their Windows computer from a Linux computers from mine. So I scan mine once a week to confirm I'm clean. I never had a virus yet either in windows or Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Orcris View Post
    Eset nod32

Beans

You could go try Avast anti virus. There is a freeware version and it's pretty decent. I know on Tomshardware they did a review of anti-virus thats free, you may have to do some looking to find it, but it's pretty good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mikaelcrocker View Post
    You could go try Avast anti virus. There is a freeware version and it's pretty decent. I know on Tomshardware they did a review of anti-virus thats free, you may have to do some looking to find it, but it's pretty good.
    Avast is #1 in my books, for both windows and Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What situation are you trying to avoid specifically? The various AV scanning engines are really going to be equally effective (which is to say, not particularly). The most that scanning a file is going to do for you is allow you to say that you've scanned it (which, sure, satisfies some compliance requirements sometimes).

Most of the malicious attachments that I've encountered for the last several years have been crafted specifically to be malicious, and since I assume you aren't doing that before sending them, there's no risk there. The Windows users that you are sending files to probably have something in place to check all attachments and downloads, but if they don't, or if they're not up to date, then there's really nothing you can do for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast