Thread: Do Pregnant Spiders Maintain Two Webs?

Beans

Do Pregnant Spiders Maintain Two Webs?

Hi,

I have spiders in my back yard. Brown and black. They don't mess with me, I don't mess with them. They set up webs near the area I walk and keep the stinging insects - dudes that have messed with me without me intentionally provoking them - away from that area. (We have a vast array of bees - and stinging critters that eat bees - but my spider friends keep them on the other side of the yard.)

There's a pregnant one, and it seems to move between two distinct spider webs. Observations:

-I don't ever see spiders at both webs at once. Spider present at neither, at one, or at the other, but not both.
    -She looks to be pregnant. Either that, or she is more well fed than any of the other spiders I've seen back there. Or, there are two pregnant spiders that somehow coincidentally are never around at the same time.
    -Wrapped prey is present in both webs.

So, is it normal for a spider to set up and maintain two webs?

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, Marin County to be specific, if anyone is curious or especially knowledgeable about arachnids.

EDIT: My friends don't look exactly like anything here, but look closest to this. She's got some white markings on her back.
    Last edited by earthpigg; October 7th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Re: Do Pregnant Spiders Maintain Two Webs?

She took her baby daddy's web in the settlement.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Do Pregnant Spiders Maintain Two Webs?

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    She took her baby daddy's web in the settlement.
    I suppose that's theoretically possible as some females kill/eat the male after mating.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Do Pregnant Spiders Maintain Two Webs?

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    I suppose that's theoretically possible as some females kill/eat the male after mating.
    Never saw one maintain two webs...They lay eggs so they don't get pregnant...Hang around and you will see a delicate egg sack eventually. The little ones hanging about are the lunches..I mean males.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166