Thread: Need your opinion on a suggestion to developers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Need your opinion on a suggestion to developers

Many users get to Ubuntu ("3D") session but, seeing no Unity launcher and Panel, believe their PC does not support Compiz (or will most likely report that their desktop fail to load completely - which is what we are seeing repeatedly here at the testing forum). Generally Unity segfaulted on session start or the Unity Plugin is not even activated in session configs.

I think it could help if, when failing to load Unity, or starting the session with Unity Plugin disabled, the session would popup a warning dialog saying "Failed to load Unity, retry <yes><no>?" or "The unity plugin is disabled, enable? <yes><no>".

Whats your opinion? Viable as a suggestion to developers?

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans

Re: Need your opinion on a suggestion to developers

I think that is a very good suggestion!

At least during the period of time when unity 3d is unstable.

In a couple of weeks time my mom (65+) will upgrade to 11.10.
    I'll be seeing a lot of that 130 km stretch of highway that separates us if this thing is shaky.

Beans
    Distro

This is so true. When my mom or sister ring me unexpectedly the subject is usually "I can't print, there's a weird thing on the screen, the computer is making a noise - very helpful descriptions as usual). Family members of advanced IT users tend to believe we have pleasure in fixing their PCs, smart phones, etc.

To be completely honest: I have what I call Ubuntu "Senior Edition" installed at my moms. Its based on Feisty, she has no sudo password, I changed permissions on most important directories, hidden/uninstalled things she shouldn't be messing with, it auto-updates at 2AM but using apt-proxy at my home-office server, it runs openssh-server and VNC, postfix mails me the system log every 48 hours, display runs on high-contrast, has only 3 gigantic icons on desktop (Internet Browser, E-Mail, My Documents), etc. It took me a while to make an "unbreakable" senior citizen system lol... I'm not eager to update it so far.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Many users get to Ubuntu ("3D") session but, seeing no Unity launcher and Panel, believe their PC does not support Compiz (or will most likely report that their desktop fail to load completely - which is what we are seeing repeatedly here at the testing forum). Generally Unity segfaulted on session start or the Unity Plugin is not even activated in session configs.

I think it could help if, when failing to load Unity, or starting the session with Unity Plugin disabled, the session would popup a warning dialog saying "Failed to load Unity, retry <yes><no>?" or "The unity plugin is disabled, enable? <yes><no>".

Whats your opinion? Viable as a suggestion to developers?

Regards,
    Effenberg
    I think that's an excellent suggestion.

"It took me a while to make an "unbreakable" senior citizen system lol... I'm not eager to update it so far."
    I am very glad my son didn't think of me that way when he helped me buy my first computer (1995, he was in college, I was well into my 40s). This summer he sent me an awesome gift of new computer parts, so I could build a new work computer. Over the years he's answered many "stupid" mom-vs-computer questions and always stayed patient, and always encouraged me to try new things. It implied trust in my ability to learn (even when it seemed impossible to me), that trust is what kept me going.

What's funny about this is that my friends (mostly older folks, like me) will sometimes call me with computer questions, and mention that their kids treat them like they are stupid - when it comes to computers - so they feel hesitant to bother their kids if they can avoid it. Older people may learn differently than when they were young, but that doesn't mean they can't learn at all. I know this from experience.

On the other hand, I DO know a few parents and grandparents who purposely use the "Help! My computer needs fixing" excuse just to get their kids to call or come for a visit. lol
    Last edited by Jay Car; October 7th, 2011 at 08:41 PM.
    I remember when this used to be fun...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Car View Post
    I think that's an excellent suggestion.

I am very glad my son didn't think of me that way when he helped me buy my first computer (1995, he was in college, I was well into my 40s). This summer he sent me an awesome gift of new computer parts, so I could build a new work computer. Over the years he's answered many "stupid" mom-vs-computer questions and always stayed patient, and always encouraged me to try new things. It implied trust in my ability to learn (even when it seemed impossible to me), that trust is what kept me going.

What's funny about this is that my friends (mostly older folks, like me) will sometimes call me with computer questions, and mention that their kids treat them like they are stupid - when it comes to computers - so they feel hesitant to bother their kids if they can avoid it. Older people may learn differently than when they were young, but that doesn't mean they can't learn at all. I know this from experience.

On the other hand, I DO know a few parents and grandparents who purposely use the "Help! My computer needs fixing" excuse just to get their kids to call or come for a visit. lol
    My mom was writing her doctorate thesis in 1995. Dude, I can count how many times we had that conversation "Ok, sit here, press the power button, put your hand on the mouse. Good. Ok, now wait for the Windows 3.11 logo to disappear. Yes, it takes while, but stay focused. Ok, now do you see these small figures in the screen? They're called icons. Each icon represents a program, that is inside this computer. You will use each one of these icons to launch a different program. There are maaaaaaaany programs. Ok, now you wanna write text documents, don't you? So, tell me, which icon is more likely to represent writing a document? The calculator? Nooooo. The curled paper sheet? That's it, you got it. Now use the mouse to move the pointer to that icon. Too much, go slower. You can keep the mouse over the table, preferably over the mouse pad ok? That's it, you're close, a little more to the left and... Yes, thats it. Now click twice. Twice. No, twice real fast. Faster!! Yes, you did it, this is called Word...".

Well, I typed the entire 400 page thesis.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by koma77 View Post
    I think that is a very good suggestion!

At least during the period of time when unity 3d is unstable.

In a couple of weeks time my mom (65+) will upgrade to 11.10.
    I'll be seeing a lot of that 130 km stretch of highway that separates us if this thing is shaky.
    Personally I wouldn't bother upgrading your mom's system, as the next LTS release is only a little over 6 months away.

I'd also suggest getting familiar with nomachine, remote support is a wonderful thing, unless one of you is on dial-up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I typed the entire 400 page thesis.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Your mom's a smart lady...she got you to type the paper.

*By the way, I know you didn't mean anything bad by it - so no offense was taken - and there's really no way for you to have known this, but just for the record, I'm not a "dude" (I really am just a little ol' lady who sometimes gets in the way on Ubu-Forums...it's never my intention to be annoying, it just happens sometimes)

Beans
    Distro

Your mom's a smart lady...she got you to type the paper.
    I know, she plays dumb when she wants things done lol. But she's a psychologist, lost in books, etc. She can't do technology. She can understand Heidegger, Freud, etc... But she can't understand an ebook reader (gave her a Kindle MX, its getting dust in the shelf). It's the only person I know who has an iPhone and don't use it / don't know how to use it. It became an internal joke in the family to give my mom gadgets. Using the BluRay remote is like understanding quantum entanglement.

By the way, I know you didn't mean anything bad by it - so no offense was taken - and there's really no way for you to have known this, but just for the record, I'm not a "dude" (I really am just a little ol' lady who sometimes gets in the way on Ubu-Forums...it's never my intention to be annoying, it just happens sometimes)
    Oops.... sorry, my bad Rare (I think?) to see ladies here (in IT Forums in general). Now I am REALLY impressed you considered your son's gift cool (IT parts). Seriously impressed. Look, besides being in my 30s, I'm open to adoption anytime ok? How cool would it be to give my mom a killer VGA card in her birthday?

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

This is so true. When my mom or sister ring me unexpectedly the subject is usually "I can't print, there's a weird thing on the screen, the computer is making a noise - very helpful descriptions as usual). Family members of advanced IT users tend to believe we have pleasure in fixing their PCs, smart phones, etc.

To be completely honest: I have what I call Ubuntu "Senior Edition" installed at my moms. Its based on Feisty, she has no sudo password, I changed permissions on most important directories, hidden/uninstalled things she shouldn't be messing with, it auto-updates at 2AM but using apt-proxy at my home-office server, it runs openssh-server and VNC, postfix mails me the system log every 48 hours, display runs on high-contrast, has only 3 gigantic icons on desktop (Internet Browser, E-Mail, My Documents), etc. It took me a while to make an "unbreakable" senior citizen system lol... I'm not eager to update it so far.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Lmao. This is the best post I read all day. +1 post #1 too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oops.... sorry, my bad
    No need to apologise, it's an easy mistake to make on the forums. No harm done.

Rare (I think?) to see ladies here (in IT Forums in general).
    lol...it's possible that I'm only Medium Rare (though some might describe me more as half-baked).

Now I am REALLY impressed you considered your son's gift cool (IT parts).
    lol, cool doesn't describe it. I was blown away. What a surprise!

You see, I had jokingly told my son that I needed a new memory (I've been getting a little forgetful lately). I think he misunderstood and sent more memory for my computer. My work-computer now has 16 GiB (used to be 4), and a new AMD PhenomII 6x processor, to boot. I love new parts.

Seriously impressed. Look, besides being in my 30s, I'm open to adoption anytime ok?
    lol...no.

How cool would it be to give my mom a killer VGA card in her birthday?
    A Killer VGA card?? Hmmm. OK, now I'm rethinking the adoption thing.

And, to get back to the original topic, I decided to try out Oneiric with Unity tonight. Everything went fine with the install. But after I'd added the nvidia driver and restarted, Unity didn't load and the desktop was bare.

It was already after midnight so I didn't fuss with it any more. I'll get it figured out in the morning (I've been taking notes). But I can see now how your idea for a warning dialogue, and some choices, could be very useful.

Say hi to your mom!
    JCar