Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What happened to the Ubuntu fever???

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: What happened to the Ubuntu fever???

I for one am pretty excited about 11.10, probably the first time I have been truly excited about an OS launch since MSDOS 5.

When I first used Unity in 11.04 I hated it, but I realised that was probably because it was completely alien to me. So I went to Xubuntu in the mainstream and toyed with Unity on the side until I became competent with it. Now I am using Unity full time and Xubuntu is a distant memory,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Forgive my 2 cents if you can: I gave Unity 30 minutes to make me want to use it fairly early in Ubuntu's adoption of it as a primary interface and hated it so much that I simply avoid it like the plague and can't see any argument that anybody can make that will make me make any more effort toward it.

The first time Ubuntu installed with Unity as it's default interface I stopped being excited about new releases.

If somebody is new and hasn't spent something like 30 years using similar
    menu and window systems that Apple introduced in the early Macintoshs then I expect they might quickly and easily grow to love Unity but....

I've been interested in the manipulation and presentation of cyber crap for over 30 years - I got to the "bottom" of Unity (I found the last of the items I prefer to be able to find in the menu(s) of my OS) and quickly (easily) made the decision that it is an ugly and convoluted way to try to work by comparison to pretty much anybody else's blasted GUI, from any other type of OS, let alone just staying amongst Linux distros.

Summary: Yep, I don't like Unity; I said I don't like Unity, I didn't say whether or not you should; I said what I don't like about Unity, I didn't just say that it is rubbish and I certainly haven't commented on the mentality, intelligence nor competence of anybody who chooses to use it.

@"Unity Fanboys": Please review the Summary carefully before coming for me with your torches and pitchforks, thanks.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by robsoles View Post
    Forgive my 2 cents if you can: I gave Unity 30 minutes to make me want to use it fairly early in Ubuntu's adoption of it as a primary interface and hated it so much that I simply avoid it like the plague and can't see any argument that anybody can make that will make me make any more effort toward it.

The first time Ubuntu installed with Unity as it's default interface I stopped being excited about new releases.

menu and window systems that Apple introduced in the early Macintoshs then I expect they might quickly and easily grow to love Unity but....

I've been interested in the manipulation and presentation of cyber crap for over 30 years - I got to the "bottom" of Unity (I found the last of the items I prefer to be able to find in the menu(s) of my OS) and quickly (easily) made the decision that it is an ugly and convoluted way to try to work by comparison to pretty much anybody else's blasted GUI, from any other type of OS, let alone just staying amongst Linux distros.

Summary: Yep, I don't like Unity; I said I don't like Unity, I didn't say whether or not you should; I said what I don't like about Unity, I didn't just say that it is rubbish and I certainly haven't commented on the mentality, intelligence nor competence of anybody who chooses to use it.

@"Unity Fanboys": Please review the Summary carefully before coming for me with your torches and pitchforks, thanks.
    again you're entitled to dislike unity and not use it, but you cant complain unless you have at least reported (or found reports) of your issues with it, since it's still in development.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!

Just because I like Unity does not make me a fanboy (as does your not liking Unity not make you a hater).

As to your statements above. I have used computers for a little while now. I have used several interfaces. I still like Unity.

It is not my intention to make you like Unity.

As for not passing judgement on the "mentality, intelligence nor competence of anybody who chooses to use it" I think you pretty much have with statements like "If somebody is new and hasn't spent something like 30 years using similar menu and window systems that Apple introduced in the early Macintoshs then I expect they might quickly and easily grow to love Unity but...." and "Unity Fanboys".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post

As for not passing judgement on the ...

I nearly wrote "Actually; If you can operate as proficiently in Unity as you would in any other GUI, that you took the time to gain experience in, then you are probably a lot more intelligent and competent about computers than I am." but I decided that it needn't necessarily be true but: If my post had included that would that have been enough to avoid your judgement mate?

Unity isn't for me, I said why before; If Unity is for you then bully for you and bully for the people bringing you Unity! - Is that acceptable?

I've avoided commenting on Unity for months due to how venomous some of its defenders have been against people who I felt just stated their objections about it without even implying as much I did by their objections.

You needn't close this thread to avoid my next post - I will PM anybody else who makes me feel like replying to this thread again.
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

Beans
    Hidden!

... enough to avoid your judgement mate?
    The only judgement I passed must have been pointing out how you had also already passed judgement even though you denied it.

Unity isn't for me, I said why before; If Unity is for you then bully for you and bully for the people bringing you Unity! - Is that acceptable?
    I am more than fine with the fact that you are unhappy with Unity. You and every one else are entitled to your opinions. I am sure this is also acceptable.

You needn't close this thread to avoid my next post - I will PM anybody else who makes me feel like replying to this thread again.
    I am not sure why you would feel that this thread needs closing. The topic is valid from the perspective of those in the community that feel that some of the gusto has been missing in the recent release.

This conversation is perhaps off-topic and as such should be moved. I am sure we can continue it in the Recurring section where there are several dozens that follow the same basic gist...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Whilst I was skeptical at first, I now love Unity on 11.04 and I'm pumped about the release of 11.10.

I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it.

I've really missed the fanfare, and associated countdown timers as there have been with previous releases.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wow, never thought this would turn into a battlefield!

Well, I already installed it and I LOVE IT!!!! Whether it's unity or gnome 3, I simply love it!!!

True that still needs a bit of work and polish but that's the good thing, something to tweek! And if I mess it up completely, I just logout and start with gnome 3 and fix it! Or at least look for a work around...

Bottom line...
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: What happened to the Ubuntu fever???

Just installed 12.04 - getting used to the new GUI.

Who around here remembers 5.04?
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Back to sleep thread

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789