Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to the Ubuntu fever???

Beans

Re: What happened to the Ubuntu fever???

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    You do realize it's more than just Canonical abandoning gnome2. The Gnome team no longer supports it. G3 can be made to be pretty close to G2, with a little tweaking. I don't see what the big deal is. Once you get used to it, Unity is actually pretty good.
    I know they can't stay with gnome 2, and it is mind-boggling to me that gnome would take a great desktop that many users enjoyed and totally bork it. All that 'alt' junk needs removed on gnome 3 if it is ever going to be user friendly, I just can't get over the 'no shutdown' in the menu of gnome 3. Anyway, I'm hoping that Clem over at Mint can beat gnome 3 into usability, but my hopes are not high. I expect I'll be going to Xubuntu by time lts release rolls around.
    KBD47

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Someone had asked about a release candidate and it appeared that there wouldn't be one. (I can't find that thread.)

But, according to Daniel Holbach (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/u...ent-update-15/), one is planned:
    One week left! Are you excited already? The release candidate is going to get out soon and we will have days full of testing the installation on all architectures, in all kinds of installations scenarios. If you want to help out with the testing, it will be much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Someone had asked about a release candidate and it appeared that there wouldn't be one. (I can't find that thread.)

But, according to Daniel Holbach (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/u...ent-update-15/), one is planned:
    Does it really matter? Just get the daily image. http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
    Last edited by wolfen69; October 8th, 2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Boo.........

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

RC was supposed to be out a few days back according to the schedule.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have been out of touch for quite some time, as some others. I am so much a creature of habit I never look forward the "new" releases. Sometimes they cause me problems!

I switched to Kubuntu with the 11.04 release, a little different with + & - in my opinion. Though I am not much of a computing whiz, I just use it.
    AMD 64 bit, 2 Gb ram, Ubuntu-Studio 12.04 32-bit
    Playing my music my way.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    RC was supposed to be out a few days back according to the schedule.
    The "RC" status actually doesn't mean much. Updates come fast and furious during the last few weeks. But so far 11.10 seems extremely stable and will probably make most people happy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    The "RC" status actually doesn't mean much. Updates come fast and furious during the last few weeks. But so far 11.10 seems extremely stable and will probably make most people happy.
    That depends. I tweak compiz pretty heavily, which can always cause weird results, but in 11.10, it's causing REALLY weird results. I think this has something to do with Compiz+Gnome3. I have a feeling this was a rather difficult transition, and they have made sure the default settings work, but some of the other options aren't quite there yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    I know they can't stay with gnome 2, and it is mind-boggling to me that gnome would take a great desktop that many users enjoyed and totally bork it. All that 'alt' junk needs removed on gnome 3 if it is ever going to be user friendly, I just can't get over the 'no shutdown' in the menu of gnome 3.
    KBD47
    You can install something called gnome-failsafe or gnome-fallback (it seems to change its name quite a lot) which is (mostly) the GNOME2 interface with GTK3. Not bad. Give it a go.

The only obvious thing in Oneiric is GNOME-shell compatibility and the new login screen. Both are big improvements, IMO. But I think the thing I'm most excited about is the little tweaks they've done to make it easeir to use.

Beans
    Hidden!

I can't really say how it was many releases ago but the talk about the new release has been on par with most of the recent releases IMO... And I am stoked for the new release, can't wait

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hype is overrated anyway.

IMO Ubuntu should release the 6-monthlies as testing releases, and push the LTS more publicly. A 6-month cycle is not mainstream- or enterprise-friendly.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast