Thread: AMD (Llano) or Intel (Sandy Bridge)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question AMD (Llano) or Intel (Sandy Bridge)

My old (3 GHz Prescott) comp has finally died after 7 years so I'm looking to put together a new desktop. I'll reuse the few parts that I still can but am curious about what CPU/APU to build around. Since I don't play any games I am quite happy to just go with an integrated GPU that should simply need to handle video. My understanding is that Llano has better graphics capability and Sandy Bridge has better CPU processing.

Ultimately what I was hoping that you guys can help me out with is figuring out which brand has better Ubuntu/Linux support. Which one has better, more stable, more full featured support?

Thanks so much for any input.

Beans
    Distro

Re: AMD (Llano) or Intel (Sandy Bridge)

Are neither of these CPU/GPUs used on Ubuntu?

Beans

Both of these configurations supported under Linux. Keep in mind that the Llano embedded GPU is relatively new, so you will likely want to use the AMD proprietary drivers to utilize it fully.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

As a person who has just purchased a Llano notebook, stay away from Llano notebooks. Ubuntu 11.10 does not even boot. You can install Ubuntu 11.04 and then upgrade to 11.10. The problem is that the Catalyst drivers are just horrible.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the input. I think I've decided on Sandy Bridge. Seems like there's a lot more linux support that way.