Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reduce boot time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Reduce boot time

Quote Originally Posted by viraf87 View Post
    I've noted the time on both a stopwatch and bootchart; they match. Are your partitions jfs?
    Never used it. I always use ext4 and sometimes ext3 with some distributions which I haven't used in long time.

For me, Bootchart time is longer. With Stopwatch, I start counting from the moment I press ON Button on my case until I got a working desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am no expert on partition formats, some have posted various advice for different type for different purposes. Small files or large files, Video etc.

But I, like amjjawad, stay with ext4 or ext3 as general use files systems. Most reviews show ext4 as good as or better for most types of things and they seem to have resolved the issues it originally had.

My boot time just dropped immensely. I bought a SSD and it is under 20 sec before even trying to adjust things. But my standard drives take about 50-60 sec as I mount several partitions and I understand the NTFS mounts slow. I do not normally do much tuning as I find that fast since my XP used to take 3 to 5 minutes.
    Last edited by oldfred; October 7th, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Even my current XP install on my desktop computer isn't that slow... nowadays. But, it was before I wiped the hard drive to reinstall Windows and do a permanent install of Ubuntu 11.04 when my Windows XP had a slow time booting up. I still have no clue to this day what caused programs on WinXP to run so slow then.

Like I said, I haven't timed my boot-up times for WinXP and Ubuntu on my desktop, and Win7 and Ubuntu on my netbook. I just know that in both instances, my Ubuntu boots up and shuts down quicker than both Windows installs... and both my Ubuntu partitions are ext4 file systems.

I'll have to time them sometime. I can very easily time mine from the moment the bootloader starts loading Windows or Ubuntu since I have my Windows bootloaders set up to choose between either. However, do you guys time it from the moment you turn on your computers, or from the moment your bootloader starts loading said OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by viperdvman View Post
    do you guys time it from the moment you turn on your computers, or from the moment your bootloader starts loading said OS?
    The Bold answer

Beans

So... I reinstalled 11.04 (converting to ext4) and the boot time has reduced. However, there are now significantly more problems with my system. A major one is that I can't open nautilus.

Code:
    (nautilus:21691): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Error while sending message: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    Also I can't change the volume of my system (I now get the waiting for sound system window).

I can't believe it.

Beans

Also my processor is now running at 80% all the time. Rather than 0%. System monitor says nothing is using CPU so I don't know what the hell's going on.

What should've taken about an hour has now taken all day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you install all updates?

The command "top" will show you what is eating your cpu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by viraf87 View Post
    So... I reinstalled 11.04 (converting to ext4) and the boot time has reduced. However, there are now significantly more problems with my system. A major one is that I can't open nautilus.

Code:
    (nautilus:21691): Unique-DBus-WARNING **: Error while sending message: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    Also I can't change the volume of my system (I now get the waiting for sound system window).

I can't believe it.
    There's a reason a lot of us run 10.04.
    I like it because my drivers work properly and its faster on an older pc like mine
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; October 8th, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Beans

I managed to sort out the problems (once again the forums came to my rescue). Ubuntu One was devouring my CPU so I removed it.

The sound problem was fixed by

http://turbolinux.org/tag/ubuntu-wai...em-to-respond/

So far I'm one day in on the new install and following the bumpy ride at the start all seems to be going well now. Hopefully this'll continue.

Thanks everyone for the tips and help

Viraf

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    The Bold answer
    Well that's kind of unfair for those of us who dual-boot. It takes time for the BIOS to load up, then you gotta select Ubuntu in your bootloader (Windows or GRUB or LILO), and then let Ubuntu do its booting.

That's why I time it from the moment my bootloader starts loading Ubuntu. But, I could time it from the moment I turn my computer on too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast