Thread: How do you switch between gnome and unity?

Beans

How do you switch between gnome and unity?

I installed 11.04 and it started up in Unity. I'm old, set in my ways and had that "oh,this sucks" reaction and switched back to Gnome. I don't remember how I did that but I thought there was an option when logging in to choose my interface.

Well, the old dog wants to see if he can learn new tricks and I want to try Unity again. Is there an EASY way to switch between the 2? I don't really want to go through a lengthy uninstall / install process in case I can't get the hang of Unity.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do you switch between gnome and unity?

There should be an option to choose on the login screen. IIRC Ubuntu is the choice for Unity.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr
    On login screen after selecting ur user their ll be a panel at the bottom where u can choose ur current session if u want gnome then select ubuntu classic.

Hope it would help u.

If u r done ,plz mark it as sloved.
    Last edited by Elfy; October 6th, 2011 at 07:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please use proper English in posts - there's not a character limit.

Posts merged

Refrain from using "leet" speak or excessive or unclear slang.
    Do not shorten your words to acronyms or abbreviations or use URL-shortening services, as is often done when texting or in a Twitter-style update. It is very difficult to read and understand and you are not limited to a small number of characters.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drofart View Post
    On login screen after selecting ur user their ll be a panel at the bottom where u can choose ur current session if u want gnome then select ubuntu classic.

Hope it would help u.

If u r done ,plz mark it as sloved.

That's the problem, the bottom panel doesn't have the option to switch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You have to select your name first before the option shows up. (It's wierd, I know.) I just did this too

If you go to System->Administration->Login Screen, you can change the default session to be "Ubuntu Classic" --which is gnome. That way, you don't have to select it every time you log in.

Beans

If you want to change Desktop Environments on login, it's best to change your login to where it requires you to put in a password, or set it for Automatic Login and also set it to wait X amount of seconds for others to log in. That'll give you time to change desktop environment if need be.

Oh, and if you'e doing the traditional type in username, then type in password... then you type in your name, then go to that bottom bar and select your desktop environment before putting in your password.

I change DE's according to my mood, though I run GNOME 2.x like 95% of the time on both computers. (I run Ubuntu 11.04, btw)