Thread: VM Ubuntu 11.04 Cannot use Network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

VM Ubuntu 11.04 Cannot use Network

Hello,

I am trying to run a VM (configured in VMWare player) for ubuntu 11.04 on Windows 7. I have bridged the network connection, and on my device tools I can see it receiving packets, but it is not transmitting.

I noticed my IP for the VM and my host PC are different. But it fails when I try to ping my host. I am using a wired connection.

I'm really a beginner at this, but I'm sure its something to do with the proxy settings.

Beans

Re: VM Ubuntu 11.04 Cannot use Network

Quote Originally Posted by RIT_girl View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to run a VM (configured in VMWare player) for ubuntu 11.04 on Windows 7. I have bridged the network connection, and on my device tools I can see it receiving packets, but it is not transmitting.

I noticed my IP for the VM and my host PC are different. But it fails when I try to ping my host. I am using a wired connection.

I'm really a beginner at this, but I'm sure its something to do with the proxy settings.
    is the VM IP on the same subnet as the host and using the same gateway (your router typically) ? as for pinging are there any firewalls involved either side ?
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is a corporate firewall on the windows 7 side. No way to disable it.

Same subnet. Not sure on how to check the gateway in this version, I didn't see anything that seemed to correspond to it in the network tools.

Beans

There is a corporate firewall on the windows 7 side. No way to disable it.

Same subnet. Not sure on how to check the gateway in this version, I didn't see anything that seemed to correspond to it in the network tools.
    I suspect the corporate firewall is not trusting the VM, depending on how that is set up, you have effectively placed a new machine on the network using bridged and so that machine (virtual or not) needs to be a trusted entity i suspect.

depending on the security of your LAN it probably doesnt allow rogue machines to be placed on the network.

However unless you mean it is a firewall installed on your Windows 7 Host ?

is the bridged networking using the correct device on the host ?

as for not knowing the gateway, did you not add the IP to the bridged device then ? or is the bridge relying on DHCP from your LAN, which again brings us back to the security of the DHCP server possibly ?

However i may be over complicating all this, but i dont know your total setup or environment or IP range etc
    Last edited by haqking; October 6th, 2011 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm thinking I'll have to configure it off the network (at home), unfortunately I don't have the bride connection capabilities because I'm using freeware. Stay tuned,I'll probably be back after 6 with more questions on it.

Beans

I'm thinking I'll have to configure it off the network (at home), unfortunately I don't have the bride connection capabilities because I'm using freeware. Stay tuned,I'll probably be back after 6 with more questions on it.
    ok no problem.

a tip, try using virtual box instead www.virtualbox.org it is free and fully functional and IMO better than anything else out there for the end user