Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Energy consumption

Beans

Re: Energy consumption

On my netbook running Ubuntu 11.04, Jupiter is quite useful and allows my computer to run in Eco mode when disconnected from AC power. Without it, I was getting a little over 3 hours from the battery. With Jupiter installed and running, I've gotten up to 4 hours... 5 when running the proprietary ATI graphics driver (which sucks ar running Adobe Flash).

I'll vouch for Jupiter. It's nice that Fuduntu comes with Jupiter preinstalled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Apparently it takes a while before I get access to the fuduntu forum, so I already want to let you know from here that I got the results.

I uploaded them to my server at: http://fun4me.demon.nl/~leon/fuduntu/

the two tgz files contain the dumps, one normal output, one after calllbration with powertop

Quote Originally Posted by lvanderree View Post
    Apparently it takes a while before I get access to the fuduntu forum, so I already want to let you know from here that I got the results.

I uploaded them to my server at: http://fun4me.demon.nl/~leon/fuduntu/

the two tgz files contain the dumps, one normal output, one after calllbration with powertop
    Jupiter won't be able to fix that, it looks like you have a lot of driver issues on that system.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro

In Fubuntu that might be true:

Display was translated. as described earlier and wireless wasn't working either.

However in Ubuntu everything seems to be working fine. Only thing I notice is the touchpad not recognizing multitouch, but more people have this issue. And in Mint I can see the power consumption is much lower, so I know it should be possible!

Anyway thanks for your help again

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    This is a know problem with the 3.0 kernel, and affects all distributions using it, this has been discussed several time in this sub-forum. The problem affects laptops/netbooks that have pci-e mostly.
    I'm experiencing the same regression on my sony vaio vpcsb. With oneiric it drains ~ 17W (radeon OFF, wifi ON, medium screen backlight). It was used to drain ~ 11W with natty in the same conditions.

I don't think it's kernel related. I run a 3.0 kernel on natty for some time, and I'm pretty sure that the energy consumption was similar to the original kernel.

Moreover, natty's kernel was already affected by the very popular power regression regarding pcie_aspm.

So I presume this regression should be somehow related to the software running on natty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by clemmy View Post
    I'm experiencing the same regression on my sony vaio vpcsb. With oneiric it drains ~ 17W (radeon OFF, wifi ON, medium screen backlight). It was used to drain ~ 11W with natty in the same conditions.

I don't think it's kernel related. I run a 3.0 kernel on natty for some time, and I'm pretty sure that the energy consumption was similar to the original kernel.

Moreover, natty's kernel was already affected by the very popular power regression regarding pcie_aspm.

So I presume this regression should be somehow related to the software running on natty.
    Hi clemmy,

I agree with you...
    Ubuntu seems to eat power huge more and more with releasing...

And I'm using SONY VAIO Z (i5 2410M, Intel HD3000), then oneiric drains around 26W (must be 10W or lower!!). :S So battery could keep only 2.5 or 3 hours instead of 6 hours vendor suggested on Win7?!

I think this "bug" is really critical than compiz's minor one!! lol
    -- Lazulum Gtk3 theming PPA: "Lazulum" New clean gtk3 theme Project.

Beans
    Distro

with the help of the latest Jupiter (release 0.0.51) I am now down to:

grep rate /proc/acpi/battery/BAT2/state
    present rate: 20743 mW

so, 10 more Watts to go, but there is a start

Beans
    Distro

I'm on a Samsung N150 (a netbook), and with my usual habit to surf and sometimes listening to music, I'm about 10 W average (that's what powertop reports). But I installed samsung-tools, which comes in with a lot of power management. Anyway, I'm a happy camper...

Beans
    Distro

Is there a Ubuntu/Linux-System guru who can tell me what I can do to investigate the power consumption any further?

Running PowerTop seems to show a big usage due to audio components, but how can I debug this any further? Can I maybe compile my own kernel to optimize things for my system? any tips are welcome, willing to read/try/learn anyhting (or at least a lot ).

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lvanderree View Post
    Is there a Ubuntu/Linux-System guru who can tell me what I can do to investigate the power consumption any further?

Running PowerTop seems to show a big usage due to audio components, but how can I debug this any further? Can I maybe compile my own kernel to optimize things for my system? any tips are welcome, willing to read/try/learn anyhting (or at least a lot ).
    you can install/run valgrind
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Valgrind

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast