Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Energy consumption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Energy consumption

I noticed a very big difference in power consumption.

In Mint (and 11.04) I could tweak my system (mainly by turning off (by acpi) and disabling the Radeon = second videocontroller) to use only 11.000 mW

However in 11.10 I cannot get my system to use less than 25.000 mW!

that is a Sony Vaio Sa-series being empty 2,5 times faster!

Are there more people experiencing this problem, and has anyone found a solution yet? powertop --calibrate doesn't seem to have any effect.

Code:
    grep rate /proc/acpi/battery/BAT2/state 
    present rate:            29636 mW

Beans

Re: Energy consumption

I too am unsure how to reduce energy consumption in Ubuntu (any version). I know my Asus EeePC's specs say up to 6 hours, but with proprietary ATI drivers, I can only get up to 5 hours.

I haven't tried this in 11.10 using Unity 2D yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is a know problem with the 3.0 kernel, and affects all distributions using it, this has been discussed several time in this sub-forum. The problem affects laptops/netbooks that have pci-e mostly.

THere are a couple of things to try:

Install powertop and run:

Code:
    sudo powertop --calibrate
    or

install Jupiter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Have you turned on all the power setting 'tuneables' in powertop? And do you set your CPU frequency to ondemand?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Install Jupiter, it will make a world of difference!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1854019

Beans
    Distro

I had already tried powertop --calibrate, but unfortunately didn't noticed any improvements, so I thought it was just a calibration test, not making any adjustments.

I now also tried Jupiter, but unfortunately again, even though it gets great reviews, I still don't see any big differences.

I also tried pcie_aspm=force to grub, but again no difference...

grep rate /proc/acpi/battery/BAT2/state
    still returns a present rate of 26312 mW

I am going to try Fuduntu from USB now, and see how that will perform.

Thanks for the feedback though

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm Fuduntu doesn't recognize my display correctly, it has been translated, both horizontally and vertically, making it impossible to see the top menu. I could operate it with ALT+F1 and I could start applications with ALT+F2 of course.

However I could already notice that my laptop was warm, and in the terminal I could see a power consumpution of 30W this time...

I don't see why I can tweak Mint to 13W and nothing else can come close. I would like to have Ubuntu (11.10 preferably) since this runs much more stable (no deb-hell) when installing third party applications. And I think I am getting to like Unity more and more

Quote Originally Posted by lvanderree View Post
    Hmmm Fuduntu doesn't recognize my display correctly, it has been translated, both horizontally and vertically, making it impossible to see the top menu. I could operate it with ALT+F1 and I could start applications with ALT+F2 of course.

However I could already notice that my laptop was warm, and in the terminal I could see a power consumpution of 30W this time...

I don't see why I can tweak Mint to 13W and nothing else can come close. I would like to have Ubuntu (11.10 preferably) since this runs much more stable (no deb-hell) when installing third party applications. And I think I am getting to like Unity more and more
    There is a new xorg in our testing repository, enable it in /etc/yum.repos.d/fuduntu.repo and update.

30W doesn't sound right, make an account over at Fuduntu Forum and give us a snapshot of all the panes from powertop (without making any changes).
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro

Ok thanks!

I will try it later tonight and give back feedback at the Fuduntu Forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

wow !

installed Jupiter about 12 hours ago & it has transformed my laptop from some type of deafeningly loud steam-punk room heater into a zen master, calm & quiet & probably tasty at kung fu.

only ever use it plugged in, so battery life not a concern.

but, again wow. fan noise almost imperceptible. keep checking to make sure laptop is turned on.
    If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast