Thread: Grub2 video mode switch (i915 video)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Grub2 video mode switch (i915 video)

Hello,

My ThinkPad T420 is running Ubuntu Natty and I'm pretty happy with it. One issue that bugs me every time I boot the system is that the video mode seems to be switched between grub2 and initramfs. I first see a blank purple screen (I guess that's hided grub2), then some ugly video mode switch happens, the screen turns black for a very short time, and afterwards I see the initramfs boot splash asking me for the password to unlock my rootfs.

I now wonder whether this behaviour is intended. I thought that grub2 already initialized the correct video mode, and that this avoided later video mode switches. Is this correct?

I'm using the integrated Sandy Bridge video controller (Intel i915).

Greetings,
    jonas

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub2 video mode switch (i915 video)

Does the 'linux' line in your default Grub 2 menuentry include "vt.handoff=7" as an option? That was supposed to smooth the transition.

Colin Watson is Ubuntu's point man on Grub 2 integration. Here is his response about vt.handoff. Can't say it's a solution to your issue, but it's an interesting paragraph:
    http://www.streamreader.org/askubuntu/questions/32999/what-is-vthandoff7-parameter-in-grubcfg
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Grub2 video mode switch (i915 video)

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Does the 'linux' line in your default Grub 2 menuentry include "vt.handoff=7" as an option? That was supposed to smooth the transition.

Colin Watson is Ubuntu's point man on Grub 2 integration. Here is his response about vt.handoff. Can't say it's a solution to your issue, but it's an interesting paragraph:
    http://www.streamreader.org/askubuntu/questions/32999/what-is-vthandoff7-parameter-in-grubcfg
    Thanks for your reply. Up to now, I didn't use this parameter. Now I added it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub, ran update-grub and rebooted. Unfortunately it doesn't help anything. The video mode switch still happens.