Thread: Desktop Virtualization

Beans

Desktop Virtualization

Hi
    I am trying to build a computer lab for a small school.
    I read about the Linux Terminal Project, but I had some doubts.

First of all.
    The School doesn't count with money, so they are not planning in buying a lot of computers.

I read about the LTS project, and I though I can use this.
    My idea is the fallowing. Have one CPU, and with this have 4 or 5 monitors connected to it. But I have my doubts about this. How do I connect the mouse, keyboard, speakers?

So searching on Internet I found NComputing http://www.ncomputing.com/classroom-in-a-box

This is a great idea, but it seems they don't give support to the new versions of Ubuntu.

If you have a better idea, I would like to know

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

multiseat

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoTc View Post
    My idea is the fallowing. Have one CPU, and with this have 4 or 5 monitors connected to it. But I have my doubts about this. How do I connect the mouse, keyboard, speakers?
    It's doable, but requires hacking the X server's configuration.

It's called multiseat. You can get it if you have multiple graphics cards (or the right kind of graphics cards) in the one computer and then edit your X server's configuration accordingly. The company Userful specializes in it.

Beans

Re: Desktop Virtualization

I assume they have some money to spend on this project? I would check on ebay for older used pcs. You should be able to find a copy of Ubuntu that will run on them. We just picked up two for 150, that both had some small harddrives, 2 gb of ram, and dual-core processors. Might be worth looking into depending on your budget. You could also call any local community colleges and see if they have any older pcs they are getting away.