Thread: Best Linux distro for a laptop with these specs?

Beans

Best Linux distro for a laptop with these specs?

Code:
    CPU- AMD E-350 Zacate 40nm Technology
          Ram- 4.00 GB DDR3 @ 539MHz
          Motherboard- Hewlett-Packard 3577(Socket FT1)
          Graphics- AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics(HP)
    I currently have windows 7 home premium 64 bit and ubuntu 11.04 32 bit installed on it in a dual boot config. What is the best distro of linux for a computer with these specs? I want something that is fast and picks up my wireless drivers automatically, also should i use the 32 bit or 64 bit version? i would preferably want something that i can install using a wubi like installer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Best Linux distro for a laptop with these specs?

Best distro for that machine? What problems are you having exactly? 64bit for dual-core.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 5th, 2011 at 05:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Whats the problem with Ubuntu?
    I'd say stick with Ubuntu... It is one of the best out there, unless you have tried other distros and have developed a preference otherwise.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

... and Wubi is not really intended for a permanent install; more to try out the distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I think that, with that computer, you would greatly enjoy something like Kubuntu. Frankly I wouldn't mess around with Fedora, Arch, CentOS, etc, but you can check those out if you want. Go with 64 bit.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans

Define best distro. The specs on the machine are enough for any distro to run comfortably, the only question is what do you want to do on this machine, how familiar are you with Linux and how much time you want to spend setting up the system.

Generally speaking, just install Ubuntu and don't worry about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

With those specs, you can run pretty much anything you want. I would suggest a real dual boot instead of wubi though, and use 64bit unless you have a specific reason to use 32.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Whats the problem with Ubuntu?
    I'd say stick with Ubuntu... It is one of the best out there, unless you have tried other distros and have developed a preference otherwise.
    No problem with it, just saw somewhere in the options that it was using like 74-90 percent of my cpu and thought that it was maybe to resource heavy for my laptop. plus i already have ubuntu 64 bit on my desktop and was hoping to find something different for my laptop. i wanted to use mint, but it doesent work with wubi, which is my only option for now since i am not ready to convert to 100% linux on that machine yet. so for right now i am going to try kubuntu 64 bit like someone suggested earlier. thanks for your help guys.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Define best distro. The specs on the machine are enough for any distro to run comfortably, the only question is what do you want to do on this machine, how familiar are you with Linux and how much time you want to spend setting up the system.

Generally speaking, just install Ubuntu and don't worry about it.
    I've used quite a few distros on virtual machines over the summer, and i have a full linux machine with pardus 2011 but i'm no expert. i dont want to spend much time configuring(especially wireless card), i want to be able to play games, browse, youtube, etc. and i want it to be fast.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You don't need to go 100% Ubuntu. Just dual-boot with Windows or run one or the other in virtual machine. Wubi? bah ...