Thread: So this thing runs on Linux?!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lightbulb So this thing runs on Linux?!!!

I had this "Does it really run on Linux?" moment when I heard about the new Keyboard workstation by Korg, called the "Kronos".
    This thing is a monster, and a groundbreaking product in many aspects IMHO. It actually runs on an Intel (dual?) Atom processor (really?!) with a Linux OS.

Given that the current state of Audio and Music production software in the Linux world is nowhere near Windows or OSX, and you always have to wrestle w/ Jack, use non-standard tools and the extreme lack of support from developers in this field, seeing the Kronos running on Linux was a shock to me. It's not the first time Korg does this (they started it with the OASYS) but the Kronos has the potential of becoming a very popular workstation.

I just hope that the Audio and Music production on Linux matures to this level. At least now the Linux devs have something to look up to
    This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Beans

Re: So this thing runs on Linux?!!!

Lawrence Lessig - Copyright in RW/RO culture
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=byB7nKSnFBM Freedom is worth something volunteer your time, talents and dollars. How long will it last? You decide with your support.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by iiiears View Post

I think it is pretty awesome (the Linux Action Show always starts there show with a "Runs Linux" article)...

But then again, it shouldn't surprise anyone all the places Linux can crop up... I mean, look at this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Pretty much every non-dos/mac thing runs on ether GNU/Linux or FreeBSD, doesn't it? Except badgers, they need to be hacked.
    [538] [792] Just because you have a secure OS doesn't mean you are invincible. Be careful out there! Don't trust strange sites and such. Also, don't block JavaScript, It is not some insecure monster who will attack you at every turn!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWolf View Post
    Pretty much every non-dos/mac thing runs on ether GNU/Linux or FreeBSD, doesn't it? Except badgers, they need to be hacked.
    Even OS X has BSD in it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Vüdu ftw!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Vüdu doesn't have native python support though, you need dedicated hardware to run it...

I'm sorry, someone had to do it.
    [538] [792] Just because you have a secure OS doesn't mean you are invincible. Be careful out there! Don't trust strange sites and such. Also, don't block JavaScript, It is not some insecure monster who will attack you at every turn!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Sure, but I couldn't care less (not that impressive to me at least) when I hear that a washing machine runs Linux. But when a top (forget that, a monster) new music production tool is running Linux, it is an eye opener because the majority of the available NATIVE Linux software (FOSS or payware) for music production is still like 5~10 years behind their Windows and OSX counterparts.
    This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The Snap Server we have at work runs some version of *nix, but I think it's probably highly specialized/proprietary.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks,PC_load_letter.

If you go to your link, click

Code:
    hear kronos
    They have some pretty nice .wav files you can download.
    Last edited by hansdown; October 6th, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card