Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A question regarding ufw

Beans

Re: A question regarding ufw

why don't you open up your /var/log/ufw.log and have a look?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jsvidyad View Post
    Hello, I got what you are saying. But the above statement can lead to some inferences. My two questions are stating two of the inferences that can be drawn from the above statement and I'm just asking you to confirm that those inferences are correct. So, can you please read those two questions and reply specifically to them?
    I have read through this thread and I agree your questions have been asked and answered. The gufw / ufw / iptables rules apply to all interfaces all the time unless you specify an interface. Only you know what rules you applied.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

JSVIDYAD...
    There is the [before.rules] which comes pre-set unless manually changed
    There is the [before6.rules] which comes pre-set unless manually changed
    There is the [after.rules] which comes pre-set unless manually changed
    Then there is the [user.rules] which come pre-set to block nothing and which is what GUFW alters in in user-space environment

The combination of all these [before.rules],[before6.rules],[after.rules] and [user.rules] is the UFW.

GUFW is just a user space environment to change the [user.rules] just so you do not have to use the [command prompt]... To manually edit the other rules, you will have to do so using the [command prompt], unless some genius helps create a user space environment to easily do it, hence not needing to do so through the [command prompt].... clear?
    Last edited by conquerorodueko; February 27th, 2013 at 02:17 PM.

Beans

Hello,

First of all, I would like to reiterate that I'm not trolling. I'm just a bit obsessive when it comes to security. I always like to get small points cleared up. So, please bear with me and please do not get upset.

From the posts in this thread I understood that since I don't specify any network interface when I specify the ufw default rules(Incoming:Deny and Outgoing:Allow), they will be in effect and those firewall rules will protect my computer irrespective of which network interface I use to connect to the internet(essentially these rules are effective irrespective of whether I use my laptop's ethernet interface or my laptop's wireless network interface to connect to the internet).

So, based on the above statement, I can make the following inference:
    When I switch between using the ethernet interface or the wireless network interface of my laptop to connect to the internet, I do not have to reconfigure the ufw firewall for the new interface in any way since the default rules given above are valid for both the interfaces(I am not setting any rules other than the default rules mentioned above). So, I can switch from using one network interface to another to connect to the internet without making any changes to the ufw firewall but still the default rules mentioned above will be enforced and will protect my laptop. Is this inference correct?

Also, since as mentioned in an earlier post Gufw is just a GUI for ufw, all the statements in this thread about the dependence/independence of firewall rules on the network interface and inferences from those statements should apply to Gufw too, right?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jsvidyad View Post
    hello,

first of all, i would like to reiterate that i'm not trolling. I'm just a bit obsessive when it comes to security. I always like to get small points cleared up. So, please bear with me and please do not get upset.

From the posts in this thread i understood that since i don't specify any network interface when i specify the ufw default rules(incoming:deny and outgoing:allow), they will be in effect and those firewall rules will protect my computer irrespective of which network interface i use to connect to the internet(essentially these rules are effective irrespective of whether i use my laptop's ethernet interface or my laptop's wireless network interface to connect to the internet).

So, based on the above statement, i can make the following inference:
    When i switch between using the ethernet interface or the wireless network interface of my laptop to connect to the internet, i do not have to reconfigure the ufw firewall for the new interface in any way since the default rules given above are valid for both the interfaces(i am not setting any rules other than the default rules mentioned above). So, i can switch from using one network interface to another to connect to the internet without making any changes to the ufw firewall but still the default rules mentioned above will be enforced and will protect my laptop. Is this inference correct?

Also, since as mentioned in an earlier post gufw is just a gui for ufw, all the statements in this thread about the dependence/independence of firewall rules on the network interface and inferences from those statements should apply to gufw too, right?
    yes
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Is the "yes" the answer to both the questions I asked?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Here comes another yes - and with this I believe the thread has run its course.
    Closing.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345