Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: As release date closes in...

Beans
    Hidden!

As release date closes in...

How many of you are going to upgrade to Oneiric pretty much right out of the gate, or do you plan to wait awhile for the kinks to get ironed out before you uprade? (This considering if you use say 10.04, 10.10 or 11.04 with 11.10 as dual boot test or 11.10 alpha/beta test solo)

Also going to upgrade, or clean install?

Myself I plan to maybe throw 11.10 onto a separate parition of like say 10GB and see how well my hardware plays with it. I've tried the Alphas and Betas, and it didn't seem to like my hardware at the time.
    Last edited by ubupirate; October 4th, 2011 at 08:45 PM.

Beans

Re: As release date closes in...

Too late been using it for a few months now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ubupirate View Post
    How many of you are going to upgrade to Oneiric pretty much right out of the gate, or do you plan to wait awhile for the kinks to get ironed out before you uprade? (This considering if you use say 10.04, 10.10 or 11.04 with 11.10 as dual boot test or 11.10 alpha/beta test solo)

Also going to upgrade, or clean install?

Myself I plan to maybe throw 11.10 onto a separate parition of like say 10GB and see how well my hardware plays with it. I've tried the Alphas and Betas, and it didn't seem to like my hardware at the time.
    I have 2 HD's with natty on one and oneiric on two. I'll leave like that for a month then clean install oneiric on one and load up 12.04 on two

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'll be grabbing it straight away, the latest version of Unity looks too damn nice to ignore.

My 11.04 system is corrupted and has lost a few features that were present a couple of months ago. Still running though so can't complain.

I've been messing around with 11.10 on a 2nd harddrive right through development and its running perfectly fine.

Beans

I'm not going to grab it right away. I plan on waiting about a month like I did when I decided to install 11.04 on my computer. However, since I like my Mac OS X style interface that I have in my Ubuntu 11.04 running Ubuntu Classic, I intend to install it on its own partition alongside Windows and Ubuntu 11.04, effectively making it a triple-boot system. It'll give me the opportunity and the space to play around with a stable 11.10 while still keeping my 11.04 as my primary Linux. Call it an extended trial of the new Unity and even GNOME 3 Shell and GNOME 3 Classic.

Yes, it's gonna be hard to get me away from GNOME 2.32 It's the reason for keeping both versions around at least until 12.04 LTS comes out.
    Last edited by viperdvman; October 4th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Too late been using it for a few months now.
    Ok, but when the full release comes are you going to update it from the beta->release or clean install release?

Beans

I've played with Oneric on LiveUSB numerous times, but only the Beta releases. Live sessions can only go so far, so I want to try a proper hard drive installation of the stable release.

Oh, and I'll be keeping it only on my desktop for now, and not my netbook. Like I said, it's gonna be an "extended" trial

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by viperdvman View Post
    Yes, it's gonna be hard to get me away from GNOME 2.32
    Indeed, which is why I'm still on 10.10. My hardware runs Gnome2 flawlessly, and having tried 11.04 it didn't agree, so hoping maybe 11.10 will be nicer on stable release.

If it happens to work nicely with my hardware, I may consider clean install solo primary OS a month or two after official release.

Beans

I'm probably going to install it as soon as it comes out. I'll write a review on it, as soon as I manage to get Drupal up on my website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been using it already on one of my computers. Started out with an upgrade from 11.04 but had to do a full install after a week or so because (I think) of some things held over from older versions. Been a smooth ride ever since.

For my other system what I usually do is upgrade the weekend before release day. In my experience it's not a good idea to actually upgrade on release day, at least not if you're doing it through Update Manager. The servers tend to be very busy, retrieval of packages takes a long time, and what usually happens to me is that my privileges drop somewhere in the middle of it all and the process hangs up. In short: weekend before, takes about an hour. Release day: takes about 8. Heck, my last experience just doing full install was so great I'll probably just stick with that going forward.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast