Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do separate /home partitions provide any advantage anymore?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Do separate /home partitions provide any advantage anymore?

Yeah, so that thing I said about moving /usr. Don't do that until further notice. That was a bad idea. Had I done that I my main system, I would be rather upset at the moment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

*double post*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    No need for such actions. If you're dual booting with Windows, don't even make a separate /home, just back your desired config files. Make a shared NTFS partition for Linux and Windows, then install oneiric in a single partition, bring back your config files, edit fstab to mount the shared partition as /media or something.

Delete all the Music, Video, Downloads and other folders in $HOME, recreate those folders on the media partition and symlink them to $HOME. It sounds like a lot of work, but the it's only editing fstab, symlinking is done easiest by slitting the pane in Nautilus, dragging the from the media partition with the middle button, and selecting "link here".

That way your data will always be safe from both Linux and Windows going crazy. You can even resize the Windows system partition to some acceptable level (I have my mothers C:\ at 30 GB with no problems at all, the Libraries thing does everything else easy for her, even though Explorer is still a dreadful file manager, almost as bad as Nautilus).

I'd also suggest you boot the Windows rescue CD, fix the MBR, make sure you can boot Windows, then during the new install put GRUB in /, and have BOOTMGR chain-loading to the GRUB in /. I'm saying this because I just came back from a rescue operation for a poorly made dual boot, where the sysadmin did some monkeying around with the partitions, so the original GRUB didn't want to boot anything, and the reinstalled one doesn't boot XP (and I couldn't do anything, since I didn't have a Windows CD around).
    Too. Much. Work. I just have an extra hard drive in my machine for storage, then backed up again on an external drive. Done.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    Too. Much. Work.
    Only the first time. Once you get used to that, I bet you can handle the whole process in five minutes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Only the first time. Once you get used to that, I bet you can handle the whole process in five minutes.
    Or just write a script to do it for you.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Dunno if you can install games to the second partition in Windows, I haven't played a game since Neverwinter Nights, but if you can, you don't need to keep the Windows partition big.
    A 2nd NTFS partition is just another drive letter in Windows. Most games will let you choose where to install them, so you could install them to the other partition easily. It's just that during an installation, most people just click Next->Next->Next->Finish without even looking at what things say. One of those Nexts usually lets you set where to install it to.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Most games will let you choose where to install them, so you could install them to the other partition easily.
    Yup, that's how I remember it. But I didn't play any games on Vista and don't have Windows 7, so I had no idea if that changed. If that's the case, Bibo's good to go, 30 GB for C:\, 10-30 for / and swap, and the rest for E:\ (/media). And he can reinstall both as much as he wants to.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234