Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do separate /home partitions provide any advantage anymore?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Do separate /home partitions provide any advantage anymore?

Having a separate home partition allows you to choose how big you want it to be. That might be important if you have a lot of VM's installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I'd say for you, there's not much advantage, other than what other people have said about having to copy the files during the installation. I'm not sure how Ubiquity handles that.

I've always put everything except swap on one partition. But one advantage I've seen about having a separate /home partition is that it makes it easier and less risky if you want to use the same /home partition with multiple linux installations at once. But that obviously doesn't apply to you.

And ninjaaron has a good point about the benefit of wiping your config files to get a true clean install.
    Ah yes. This is pretty much what I was thinking.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    Having a separate home partition allows you to choose how big you want it to be. That might be important if you have a lot of VM's installed.
    but having it on the same partitions makes it easier to change you mind if you got the sizes wrong at the start.

personally i keep all my big files on a separate disk/partition mounted at /data

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I found it easier to drop in my new root partition and selectively migrate settings on my upgrade to 11.04 this way, but mostly I just like the idea of keeping things organized and limiting my root partition to specified size. It's an eccentrically *nixy thing to do, and it appeals to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

There might be a slight speed advantage to have a separate /home partition if it is on a separate hard drive from the root. That wouldn't apply for separate partitions on the same drive, though.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I've been using a separate home partition for some time now. The big advantage was that you could reinstall Ubuntu without losing all of your personal data. However, Ubiquity now supports preserving your /home. So I'm thinking about just going back to a single partition. Are there any advantages to having a separate /home partition now?
    I use a dedicated partition for /home because of LVM. I can resize the partition anytime I want that way!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    There might be a slight speed advantage to have a separate /home partition if it is on a separate hard drive from the root. That wouldn't apply for separate partitions on the same drive, though.
    If you really want the speed, get a small SSD and put root on that sucker, with data on an HDD.

BOOM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    If you really want the speed, get a small SSD and put root on that sucker, with data on an HDD.

BOOM.
    That's exactly what I'm doing with Win7 on my nettop. If I didn't, it would run like a snail. Nettops aren't known for being fast.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    but having it on the same partitions makes it easier to change you mind if you got the sizes wrong at the start.
    But I don't make mistakes, so.....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    But I don't make mistakes, so.....
    I've only made one mistake. That was when I thought I was wrong about something, but I wasn't.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast