Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    N. Wisconsin
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    It's not the same thing. Just the same name. The classic enviroment in 11.04 is Gnome 2.x with the panel turned on and the Unity compiz plugin turned off. The "Classic" fallback mode is Gnome3 with a different shell that is similar to the panel. It still doesn't have as many plugins yet.

    One is gnome 2, and the other is gnome 3. It's still a huge difference (improvement, I should say). The desktop interface just works very similarly.

    So what's the difference between "Classic" and "Classic (No Effects)"?

    Since they're both gnome 3 with a gnome2-like panel.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    The fallback mode in Gnome 3 does use Gnome-panel and Metacity ported to GTK3. Not all applets have been ported yet, but fallback mode is 90% the same as Gnome 2.
    Well, in terms of interface, yes. Gnome 3, however is designed for apps developed with the GTK3 toolkit, which gives developers greater power and flexibility for creating gui software. It's a significant difference, in my opinion, but it will take some time before that difference becomes apparent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    So what's the difference between "Classic" and "Classic (No Effects)"?

    Since they're both gnome 3 with a gnome2-like panel.
    If we're talking about 'Classic' in 11.04, it's not Gnome 3. 11.04 is 100% Gnome 2.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    N. Wisconsin
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    If we're talking about 'Classic' in 11.04, it's not Gnome 3. 11.04 is 100% Gnome 2.
    Not sure what this guy's using though: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...98&postcount=7
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Not sure what this guy's using though: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...98&postcount=7
    Looks like 11.10 in a virtual box. I believe the differences between these two have to do with OpenGL options for the window manager. I don't know what those options are, as I'm very satisfied with Unity and Gnome Shell, and haven't felt any need to install the fallback session.
    Last edited by ninjaaron; October 4th, 2011 at 08:48 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Beans
    133

    Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

    Show us a screenshot of your GNOME fallback. Well, post it in the screenshots thread and a link to it here

    I want to see what you've achieved with the GNOME 3 Fallback

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    3,187

    Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

    OK, too much confusion ... lets clarify things a little.

    Ubuntu 11.04 comes with Gnome 2 and three options: Ubuntu = the new Unity interface, Ubuntu Classic = Gnome-panel + Compiz (same as 10.10), Ubuntu Classic (No Effects) = Gnome-panel + Metacity (same as 10.10 if you disable desktop effects).

    The official Gnome 2 comes with Gnome-panel + Metacity, Ubuntu uses Compiz in place of Metacity for extra effects.

    The official Gnome 3 comes with Gnome-shell and Gnome-fallback. Gnome-shell is the new Windows Manager and new interface. Gnome-fallback = Gnome-panel + Metacity ported to GTK3. Gnome-fallback interface is the exact same interface as Gnome 2, except some applets may be missing. Both Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 can run GTK3 apps, it is just that Gnome 3 (with Gnome-shell or Gnome-fallback) are better for GTK3. Any advantages that Gnome-fallback can have are entirely in the background.

    Ubuntu 11.10 comes with Gnome 3 and Unity 3D interface as default and Unity 2D as fallback. Gnome-shell and Gnome-fallback are available in the Software Center and they appear in the login screen as Gnome something (shell, Classic, Fallback ...)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohneG View Post
    i found out you can configure the panels just like before if you press alt while right clicking. I now can have gnome 3 fallback look and feel just like gnome 2.
    This is something a lot of people don't realize. They just want to cry about gnome 2 not being supported anymore instead of actually trying G3 and tweaking it to be like G2.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    OK, too much confusion ... lets clarify things a little.

    Ubuntu 11.04 comes with Gnome 2 and three options: Ubuntu = the new Unity interface, Ubuntu Classic = Gnome-panel + Compiz (same as 10.10), Ubuntu Classic (No Effects) = Gnome-panel + Metacity (same as 10.10 if you disable desktop effects).

    The official Gnome 2 comes with Gnome-panel + Metacity, Ubuntu uses Compiz in place of Metacity for extra effects.

    The official Gnome 3 comes with Gnome-shell and Gnome-fallback. Gnome-shell is the new Windows Manager and new interface. Gnome-fallback = Gnome-panel + Metacity ported to GTK3. Gnome-fallback interface is the exact same interface as Gnome 2, except some applets may be missing. Both Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 can run GTK3 apps, it is just that Gnome 3 (with Gnome-shell or Gnome-fallback) are better for GTK3. Any advantages that Gnome-fallback can have are entirely in the background.

    Ubuntu 11.10 comes with Gnome 3 and Unity 3D interface as default and Unity 2D as fallback. Gnome-shell and Gnome-fallback are available in the Software Center and they appear in the login screen as Gnome something (shell, Classic, Fallback ...)
    Good description, except that Clutter Mutter is the WM for Gnome Shell. Gnome shell is just another UI layer.
    Last edited by ninjaaron; October 5th, 2011 at 02:26 AM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    Good description, except that Clutter is the WM for Gnome Shell. Gnome shell is just another UI layer.
    Clutter or Mutter (to many new terms for me to keep up)...


    404
    404

    Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Gnome 3 fallback mode is great :) How long will it be available?

    Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Clutter or Mutter (to many new terms for me to keep up)...


    404
    I think it's clutter... Uh... I think mutter was the WM for Unity in 10.10 Netbook edition... a mixture of clutter and metacity, I think it was supposed to be.

    I'm confused now too.

    [edit]
    nope you're right. Mutter it is in Gnome 3.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •