Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jupiter Applet is Great. What a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Jupiter Applet is Great! What a difference!!!

Hi,

Not sure about the applet not giving any power options. You should have 3, as well as some stuff on screen resolution and devices. Possibly someone else can help you.

On the overheating issue; if you have the latest version of the kernel installed and are using an intel chip, this might be useful:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/l...hinkpad-fixed/
    Thinkpad x131e

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Can anyone help here? I've installed this on the missus' Dell 1525 running 32 bit 10.04 Lucid. It's been having all sorts of power management issues under Linux, so much so that I've more than once considered putting Windows back on it. It's such a mess. Battery last 40 minutes in spite of the fact it's a new 9 cell one. It overheats dramatically, running up to and above 80c when using Flash. It has now started shutting itself off too when it gets too hot, which is really worrying. The fan is constantly belting out.

Anyhoo, stuck this Jupiter thing on, and it installed just fine and the icon is visible and all that, but I'm only getting display options on the applet. There are no power saving or performance related options. What's happened here, and can it be sorted? Many thanks.
    I googled 'Webupd8 Jupiter'to install to Ubuntui, it seems to include steps to make Jupiter work in Ubuntu. I'm no expert but I think there may be different versions for different versions of Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisseyJ View Post
    Hi,

Not sure about the applet not giving any power options. You should have 3, as well as some stuff on screen resolution and devices. Possibly someone else can help you.

On the overheating issue; if you have the latest version of the kernel installed and are using an intel chip, this might be useful:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/l...hinkpad-fixed/
    Just installed it on our Eee 701 using Lubuntu, and the power options are there. But on our Dell Inspiron 1525 running Lucid 10.04, there's just display options and a wi-fi option.

The Inspiron uses a Celeron I believe, which runs at 1.86Mhz. It's not a terrific chip, but it's pretty good under the XP install it dual boots with. The battery and CPU temp are so poor under Linux that I'm really considering removing it and just sticking with the stock XP. I haven't said that in years, but the situation is really dire.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Just installed it on our Eee 701 using Lubuntu, and the power options are there. But on our Dell Inspiron 1525 running Lucid 10.04, there's just display options and a wi-fi option.

The Inspiron uses a Celeron I believe, which runs at 1.86Mhz. It's not a terrific chip, but it's pretty good under the XP install it dual boots with. The battery and CPU temp are so poor under Linux that I'm really considering removing it and just sticking with the stock XP. I haven't said that in years, but the situation is really dire.
    The Inspiron may not support power modes, or cpufreq may not work correctly. Jupiter will not display them if it cannot find the modes exposed by the kernel.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    The Inspiron may not support power modes, or cpufreq may not work correctly. Jupiter will not display them if it cannot find the modes exposed by the kernel.
    Right. So the only solution is wait for the kernel fix. OK, thanks for your reply.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Right. So the only solution is wait for the kernel fix. OK, thanks for your reply.
    Wait, what? You said you have a Celeron. I implied that it may not support Speedstep, not that there is a kernel problem.

You should research your specific CPU and find out A: If it supports multiple frequencies via SpeedStep and B: If you have CPUFreq working properly.

Beans

Wait, what? You said you have a Celeron. I implied that it may not support Speedstep, not that there is a kernel problem.

You should research your specific CPU and find out A: If it supports multiple frequencies via SpeedStep and B: If you have CPUFreq working properly.
    OK, breathe. I just related my problems with the well known kernel power problems, that's all. Are you saying they are not related?

A quick Google shows the CPU does not support Speedstep, whatever that is. As for CPUFreq, how does one determine that it is working correctly, and what does one do if it is or isn't? You'll have to excuse me on these issues, but they aren't something I've ever dealt with in the past.

OK, breathe. I just related my problems with the well known kernel power problems, that's all. Are you saying they are not related?

A quick Google shows the CPU does not support Speedstep, whatever that is. As for CPUFreq, how does one determine that it is working correctly, and what does one do if it is or isn't? You'll have to excuse me on these issues, but they aren't something I've ever dealt with in the past.
    Right, they are not related.

If the CPU does not support SpeedStep, it will not work with CPUFreq because the internal CPU Scalar does not exist. Since it doesn't exist, Jupiter will not find it and will hide the CPU Frequency configurations since they would not work.

That's one of the major differences between a Celeron and Pentium CPU.

Some older AMD CPUs also don't work with CPUFreq. Newer processors with PowerNow should work fine though (as long as CPUFreq supports them).

Beans

Right, they are not related.

If the CPU does not support SpeedStep, it will not work with CPUFreq because the internal CPU Scalar does not exist. Since it doesn't exist, Jupiter will not find it and will hide the CPU Frequency configurations since they would not work.

That's one of the major differences between a Celeron and Pentium CPU.

Some older AMD CPUs also don't work with CPUFreq. Newer processors with PowerNow should work fine though (as long as CPUFreq supports them).
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm guessing that Gnome 2 is just too much for it then. So at this point, would Xubuntu be a better choice? Or perhaps even Lubuntu? Would a lighter OS improve things do you think? The spec of the laptop is quite low I suppose, though it was fine for some time with pretty much any Linux I threw at it. It's a Celeron 540 (1.86Mhz), an Intel GM965 graphics chip, and 1Gb RAM.

Thanks again.

Beans

For me Jupiter really slowed down my eee pc 1005 when unplugged. It took me months to find out what the problem was. I would not recommend using Jupiter.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast