Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Jupiter Applet is Great. What a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Jupiter Applet is Great! What a difference!!!

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post

One thing that is puzzling to me is that, if Jupiter makes these changes to settings that are already present in the kernel and device drivers, why don't most of the various distros focus on providing such power saving options out of the box? It seems like that could possibly be even more effective since the distros include a known kernel version and default drivers.

Actually ubuntu does (although most other distros do not). Since ubuntu 12.04 ubuntu already does some of what jupiter does via pm-utils scripts out of the box (you can see them in /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d). Also see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Power...erSavingTweaks. Ubuntu did a lot of testing and added some of the "safest" settings, jupiter does a few extra things. Since I'm not a fan of the jupiter applet because there seems to be no way to turn off its over abundant notifications; On my system I just added a few extra pm utils scripts to /etc/pm/power.d (one to increase vm writeback value on battery, one to disable nmi watchdog on battery, and enabled sata alpm via "echo SATA_ALPM_ENABLE=true | sudo tee /etc/pm/config.d/sata_alpm").
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; December 6th, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    Actually ubuntu does (although most other distros do not). Since ubuntu 12.04 ubuntu already does some of what jupiter does via pm-utils scripts out of the box (you can see them in /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d). Also see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Power...erSavingTweaks. Ubuntu did a lot of testing and added some of the "safest" settings, jupiter does a few extra things. Since I'm not a fan of the jupiter applet because there seems to be no way to turn off its over abundant notifications; On my system I just added a few extra pm utils scripts to /etc/pm/power.d (one to increase vm writeback value on battery, one to disable nmi watchdog on battery, and enabled sata alpm via "echo SATA_ALPM_ENABLE=true | sudo tee /etc/pm/config.d/sata_alpm").
    I don't recall seeing a request to support less notifications - did you ask?

It is trivial to add to /usr/lib/jupiter/scripts/notify.

You can do the same things using a bunch of scripts in /etc/pm, but why bother when someone else has done all of the testing and integration work for you?

Ubuntu did to some power savings testing, but it didn't really amount to much unfortunately. The testing wasn't real world, or effective in data collection. I've talked about it a few times now.

I tend to follow the kernel and perform on-going testing and tuning as kernel parameters and interfaces change, something that you won't get using your methods.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

Jupiter is very useful, but I dont like that it's spamming my desktop with notifications at startup. Quite annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Fuduntu,

While we have got you here.

I have read a few cases of people complaining of their notifications being spammed by Jupiter.

Post # 80 Copper Bezel
    Post # 82 Perlon
    Post # 93 addegsson

I recently had it happen on a 12.04 install of Ubuntu and a 12.10 install of Lubuntu.

It spews repeated information about the screen resolution and power mode.

Can you let us know how to fix it, or what info we can give you to identify the problem.

Thanks, i really like this little application.
    Thinkpad x131e

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisseyJ View Post
    Hi Fuduntu,

I have read a few cases of people complaining of their notifications being spammed by Jupiter.

Post # 80 Copper Bezel
    Post # 82 Perlon
    Post # 93 addegsson

I recently had it happen on a 12.04 install of Ubuntu and a 12.10 install of Lubuntu.

Can you let us know how to fix it, or what info we can give you to identify the problem.

I've heard of this problem before, it's caused by a bug in Ubuntu's fork of libnotify. Someone sent a patch that worked around it at one time, let me go dig it up and make sure it's still applied. I don't support Jupiter on Ubuntu myself so I have no way of helping troubleshoot it - but the guys at Webupd8 do.

Hi Fuduntu,

Post # 80 Copper Bezel
    Post # 82 Perlon
    Post # 93 addegsson

I've heard of this problem before, it's caused by a bug in Ubuntu's fork of libnotify. Someone sent a patch that worked around it at one time, let me go dig it up and make sure it's still applied. I don't support Jupiter on Ubuntu myself so I have no way of helping troubleshoot it - but the guys at Webupd8 do.

Edit: Looks like we did lose that patch when we merged in the contributions that added the primary display feature. I'll get it re-applied.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Jupiter Applet is Great. What a difference.

Wonderful. Thanks very much.
    Thinkpad x131e

Wonderful. Thanks very much.
    NP. We have a support forum for Jupiter at Fuduntu Forum: http://www.fuduntu.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

We don't support Ubuntu but we try to help where we can anyway.

The fix has been released to Fuduntu and SourceForge - Webupdate should receive a notification and start work to push it to the PPA shortly. I can't speak to how quickly they'll have it available though.

FYI I've retired Jupiter effective today. Most of the problems Jupiter set out to resolve have been resolved. The remaining functionality has been merged into Fuduntu (applied power state kernel tuning).

Announcement: http://www.fewt.com/2012/12/an-impor...t-jupiter.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    FYI I've retired Jupiter effective today. Most of the problems Jupiter set out to resolve have been resolved. The remaining functionality has been merged into Fuduntu (applied power state kernel tuning).

Announcement: http://www.fewt.com/2012/12/an-impor...t-jupiter.html
    I would like to Thanks You for a great product. Thanks for your time and effort. You will be missed.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910