Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Who does an e17 distro the best?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Question Who does an e17 distro the best?

    After looking at (and downloading and burning) Macpup Opera 061

    I notice it utilizes e17, so I have begun to wonder who does an e17 distro the best?

    (yes, this accompanies/compliments the Who does a KDE distro the best? thread.)
    Last edited by HappinessNow; August 7th, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    136
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Who does an e17 distro the best?

    I'm always impressed by the look of ELive: http://www.elivecd.org/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    424

    Re: Who does an e17 distro the best?

    there's a livecd of this one, as well - http://www.cafelinux.org/OzOs/
    thank you, dan henderson.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Who does an e17 distro the best?

    Quote Originally Posted by snek View Post
    I'm always impressed by the look of ELive: http://www.elivecd.org/
    Good call downloading elive now!
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Who does an e17 distro the best?

    Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    there's a livecd of this one, as well - http://www.cafelinux.org/OzOs/
    Yeah...but

    What is the latest release of that one and where is the download for it?
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    61
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Who does an e17 distro the best?

    There is MoonOS which is in development and seems to be showing some promise.

    It is based on Ubuntu too, which is always helpful. It does an LXDE version and a E17 version

    http://www.moonos.co.cc/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kosovo, Gjakova
    Beans
    137

    Re: Who does an e17 distro the best?

    GNU/Linux is an Ocean and Windows is an River always flooded by bugs, viruses, errors, spyware/adware and anything else... that's why I L0v3 GNU/LinuX
    follow me on twitter:
    http://twitter.com/heroidi

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Who does an e17 distro the best?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaxxstorm View Post
    There is MoonOS which is in development and seems to be showing some promise.

    It is based on Ubuntu too, which is always helpful. It does an LXDE version and a E17 version

    http://www.moonos.co.cc/
    Quote Originally Posted by heroidi View Post
    Yes I know of MoonOS but like OzOS it does not appear to be very current.

    It really appears that besides development versions of Elive, that Macpup Opera 061 is the most up-to-date and serious consideration for an e17 distro.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    4newOtherOSTalk4umCsig
    Beans
    555

    Re: Who does an e17 distro the best?

    Quote Originally Posted by 今幸福 View Post
    Yeah...but

    What is the latest release of that one and where is the download for it?
    FYI-the Contol Panel applet for it is a lesson in all the wrong things to do in designing a GUI...that applet is really gawd awful. Elive also only ships i386 optimized...and if you want a stable version you have to pay.

    There are some reasonable E17 distros-but they all have severe downsides. All suffer from a severe manpower shortage, all the E17 distro maintainers world wide could comfortably sit on the sofa in my great room. It is a sad thing-because E17, despite it's comical 2nd place behind HURD in terms of development time, really does some neat things that no other DE/WM can do.
    Last edited by Skripka; August 7th, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

    14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Beans
    1,405
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

    Re: Who does an e17 distro the best?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    FYI-the Contol Panel applet for it is a lesson in all the wrong things to do in designing a GUI...that applet is really gawd awful. Elive also only ships i386 optimized...and if you want a stable version you have to pay.

    There are some reasonable E17 distros-but they all have severe downsides. All suffer from a severe manpower shortage, all the E17 distro maintainers world wide could comfortably sit on the sofa in my great room. It is a sad thing-because E17, despite it's comical 2nd place behind HURD in terms of development time, really does some neat things that no other DE/WM can do.
    You have a great room?
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •