Thread: How to make my verbose boot on Ubuntu look prettier?

Beans

Question How to make my verbose boot on Ubuntu look prettier?

Basically I want to have when I boot in verbose mode

An Ubuntu logo in the upper left or right corner
    A background image.
    Colored Text output (Failed Processes=red, sucessful processes=green)

I dont want a splash such as plymouth and whatnot because I find those sorts of bootscreens to be useless and uninformative. I likes me smexy verbose output

How might I go about all this? I'd even be willing to drop the idea of having colored text output so long as I have a background image and an ubuntu logo.
    OpenBox+Xfce4+LXDE User
    Xubuntu 10.04.2 Lucid Lynx AMD64 + Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Alpha 2 i386+PAE (Used for maintaining my Grub2 EFI bootloader), Arch Linux AMD64.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: How to make my verbose boot on Ubuntu look prettier?

I have no idea about logo or background, but on the other hand I can tell you how to get the colored text...

Failed processes should already be colored red by default, so you'll only have to worry about getting the green color for the OK messages. And to do that you'll need to edit /etc/lsb-base-logging.sh

Find the echo "[ OK ]" -line inside the log_end_msg () function and replace it with the following piece of code:
    Code:
    printf '[ '
    $TPUT setaf 2 # green
    printf OK
    $TPUT op # normal
    echo ' ]'
    (I haven't tried this on 11.04, but it should work just fine. And at least for me the correct line to replace is number 108. Actually you'll see pretty similar section of code just underneath for the red colored "fail"-messages.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    I have no idea about logo or background, but on the other hand I can tell you how to get the colored text...

Failed processes should already be colored red by default, so you'll only have to worry about getting the green color for the OK messages. And to do that you'll need to edit /etc/lsb-base-logging.sh

Find the echo "[ OK ]" -line inside the log_end_msg () function and replace it with the following piece of code:
    Code:
    printf '[ '
    $TPUT setaf 2 # green
    printf OK
    $TPUT op # normal
    echo ' ]'
    (I haven't tried this on 11.04, but it should work just fine. And at least for me the correct line to replace is number 108. Actually you'll see pretty similar section of code just underneath for the red colored "fail"-messages.)
    Yep! That definately give me my green succeeded messages! Thanks!

Now I just need to figure out the background and logo, if thats even still possible as of 11.10.
    OpenBox+Xfce4+LXDE User
    Xubuntu 10.04.2 Lucid Lynx AMD64 + Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Alpha 2 i386+PAE (Used for maintaining my Grub2 EFI bootloader), Arch Linux AMD64.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And you don't want to use anything like BURG?