Thread: Ubuntu 11.04: Can not ALT+Tab, or use Superkey shortcuts

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu 11.04: Can not ALT+Tab, or use Superkey shortcuts

I'm using 11.04 with Ubuntu Classic.

I can not ALT+Tab anymore, or use any of the Super shortcuts.

I did not upgrade. I used clean install.

I can't use any Super key shortcuts either. In 10.10 I could use Super + A to show all windows, it was really handy, now I can't.

I have Compiz enabled and everything, along with the advanced config program. Where do I go to enable these features (if they are even in Natty at all?)

I have Expose and Desktop Wall module of Compiz enabled, by the way.

Strangely enough, it does work in Unity now, I don't know why. It does not work in Ubuntu Classic.
    Last edited by 8_Bit; April 29th, 2011 at 10:00 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04: Can not ALT+Tab, or use Superkey shortcuts

Did you do anything to get it working?

I'm using unity; alt-tab does nothing

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Make sure you have "Static Application Switcher" enabled in "CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Window Management", and the desired "Binding" set to Alt+Tab.

Greetings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unhappy Re: Ubuntu 11.04: Can not ALT+Tab, or use Superkey shortcuts

Quote Originally Posted by Krytarik View Post
    Make sure you have "Static Application Switcher" enabled in "CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Window Management", and the desired "Binding" set to Alt+Tab.

Greetings.
    What if I am using the unity desktop? I tried enabling each one of the window switchers available in gnome so I could alt+tab as I'm used to, but the unity top panel gets visual glitches, and some times crashes whenever I switch windows via alt+tab...
    De Maracaibo pa'l mundo
    Forza Juventus!

Beans

got exactly the same thing too... when I activate the alt+tab feature... the top panel in Unity stop showing the icons...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by 8_Bit View Post
    I'm using 11.04 with Ubuntu Classic.

I can not ALT+Tab anymore, or use any of the Super shortcuts.

I did not upgrade. I used clean install.

I can't use any Super key shortcuts either. In 10.10 I could use Super + A to show all windows, it was really handy, now I can't.

I have Compiz enabled and everything, along with the advanced config program. Where do I go to enable these features (if they are even in Natty at all?)

I have Expose and Desktop Wall module of Compiz enabled, by the way.

Strangely enough, it does work in Unity now, I don't know why. It does not work in Ubuntu Classic.
    Hi,
    got the same probs after upgrade to ubuntu 11.04 (Classic), as a workaround I am using CTRL+ALT+TAB now, since I didn't use Compiz.

Cheers

Beans

Angry Re: Ubuntu 11.04: Can not ALT+Tab, or use Superkey shortcuts

Well unlike others here I CAN use ALT-Tab without issue. Everything else about 11.04 has been a bit of a disaster from the truly new Unity interface (I reverted immediately to classic even on my *** EEE 701!) to the complete "loss" of over twelve different applications when upgrading to 11.04 from 10.04 LTS on THIS machine (Compaq nx8220 1.5Gb)!

The overall impression given is that Canonical are trying way too hard to "copy" MS is far too many areas for comfort. Wake up guys ... people are grateful I'm sure for the ability to more easily migrate from Windows but that doesn't mean you have to "BE" a Linux version of MuppetSoft for goodness' sake!

Canonical, STOP the rot now ... pay more attention to hard-core supporters' feedback and PLEASE make the NEXT release a good solid step upwards and onwards not backwards and downwards to the dark ages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by webslayer View Post
    Well unlike others here I CAN use ALT-Tab without issue. Everything else about 11.04 has been a bit of a disaster from the truly new Unity interface (I reverted immediately to classic even on my *** EEE 701!) to the complete "loss" of over twelve different applications when upgrading to 11.04 from 10.04 LTS on THIS machine (Compaq nx8220 1.5Gb)!

The overall impression given is that Canonical are trying way too hard to "copy" MS is far too many areas for comfort. Wake up guys ... people are grateful I'm sure for the ability to more easily migrate from Windows but that doesn't mean you have to "BE" a Linux version of MuppetSoft for goodness' sake!

Canonical, STOP the rot now ... pay more attention to hard-core supporters' feedback and PLEASE make the NEXT release a good solid step upwards and onwards not backwards and downwards to the dark ages.

Totally agree, Unity is like a crazy ripoff of Mac OS but worse (in my opinion)

I am using Classic but have so far found these problems:

Alt+Tab doesn't work
    Can't drag-and-drop files into programs on the panel, now is just pins the file to the panel instead, what the hell is the use of that???

Beans

Angry Re: Ubuntu 11.04: Can not ALT+Tab, or use Superkey shortcuts

Quote Originally Posted by Agent24 View Post
    Totally agree, Unity is like a crazy ripoff of Mac OS but worse (in my opinion)

I am using Classic but have so far found these problems:

Alt+Tab doesn't work
    Can't drag-and-drop files into programs on the panel, now is just pins the file to the panel instead, what the hell is the use of that???
    My second day, banging my head around and about, trying to figure out Atl+tab and Max-Min buttons. If I fail by night fall, I shall switch back / reinstall 10.10