Thread: Some webpages crashing whichever browser I'm using

Beans

Some webpages crashing whichever browser I'm using

Running 10.10 on an Asus EeePC I'm having a very frustrating time with web-browsers – there are a bunch of pages that'll crash Firefox (I've tried different versions, currently using 7.01) and Chrome, and then some which will crash Midori, which worked for a few of the pages that crash the other two.

What can I do about this? Are there settings I can check? I've done everything the Mozilla 'help' (using the term loosely) has suggested (safe mode, disabling plug-ins etc.) and nothing has worked. A few weeks back Firefox (3.X) was working fine, and then suddenly pages that I've been going to every day for months made everything crash.

I'm getting very frustrated. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Some webpages crashing whichever browser I'm using

Hi. It might help if you could post some of the webpages you are trying to open. Do those websites have Flash in it?
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans

Good point. Here's one that shocked me when it crashed out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark

I've got an add-on called Quick Java that allows me to toggle things like Java on and off; I tried opening that same page with Java switched off and it still crashed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There does not appear to be any problem with that page on my 10.04 running FF 7.0.1, and with the java plugin enabled as normal, so it must be something to with either your configuration or setup, or perhaps your hardware.

I suppose it could be something related to the quick java you have installed, but I know nothing about that add-on. I do know, however, that some add-ons can make things occasionally go strangely in Firefox, so I wonder if it is worth trying with quick java uninstalled or disabled, not just with java turned off using the add-on.

Beans

I only installed Quick Java after it started crashing – but I've tried loading that page with that add-on (and all my other add-ons) disabled, and it still crashes. So I'm fairly sure it's none of my settings that's doing it.

And ideas about what I can do to check my hardware and change the settings if necessary? I looked for some kind of system testing to do with such things, and could find nothing at all (that I could recognise as such at least) in either what's already installed or in the downloadable tools.