Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Google+ Circles are pointless.

Beans

Re: Why Google+ Circles are pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaacgallegos View Post
    Then you're using it like I am, with no hope of using it for community social networking. Also, I see you've missed the point of my original post, from what you've said in my last sentence.

It's ok. I didn't expect anyone to actually read it all... They're just random words with no meaning.
    I read it and I explained why I have to share images publicly. I get news from news feeds, not G+.

PS. I am not ruining G+, Facebook is.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I think with time, people will figure out circles for the most part and some social norms will evolve around them. One of the things that burnt me out on facebook was being presented with the minutia of the lives of every person I've ever known. I have to choose between exiling that person from my life, or hearing about how their eggs were cooked at breakfast and how terrible it is that their dog has a cold.

There will always be people who won't get that, and will constantly spam their every thought to world+dog a la twitter, but I think they will be fewer and fewer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Isaacgallegos View Post
    What I ended up doing was finding 3 people that actually would only share Ubuntu related info with me and nothing else. <- how an Ubuntu circle should work. However, it's only 3 people.

What I could do:
    Add a bunch of Ubuntu users and watch a stream of LOLcats and people taking random photos or just really not use G+ at all, except with friends, family, and a few people that know how to use circles.
    I'm not sure I understand your problem. Are you just getting annoyed because you've added a lot of people and you're now seeing all their public posts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your problem. Are you just getting annoyed because you've added a lot of people and you're now seeing all their public posts?
    Bingo.

As for me, I don't post anything that I don't think the entire world would be interested in reading, so all of my posts are public.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hey Isaacgallegos, I want to add you to Google+, but once I do I demand that you only post about things I want to hear about. If you post things I don't care about, then you're ruining Google+.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Hidden!

I started the Ubuntu Forums circle on G+ thread. I added all people, and if I look to my UF circle posts now, 90% of it is tech related and interesting to read or discuss.

I try to limit my public posts (except for some calls for help), and I post things to the correct circles. I don't want to bother most of my friends with my tech talk, and I don't want to bother you with my private life.

I feel that most people are already doing this, and if someone is not doing it, I wait a bit. If it doesn't get better, well then he's just kicked out.

Note that you also won't see a lot of Ubuntu related info on my wall before I added you. You will only see the public posts, not the Ubuntu related ones.

Beans

I have to say, I like Google+ very much, but it seems not so many friends of mine are on Google+, in other words, a good product does not meany a good market.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Hey Isaacgallegos, I want to add you to Google+, but once I do I demand that you only post about things I want to hear about. If you post things I don't care about, then you're ruining Google+.
    Yeah. I'll just put you in that circle. Easy, because I don't pollute with Public posts.

Ready my only Public post: https://plus.google.com/116430660445724278113
    ○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○〇 I'd like to circle you! 〇○○○○○○ ○
    〇 Tell me which you want to be in, by commenting below. Just pick one.
    〇 Some circles are Classmates, Linux, Artists, Programming, and Music.
    If I circle you, please don't spam with lots of random public comments. ●Many people don't know that +Public comments also get sent to your circles!!!

〇○●○○〇○○●○○○○〇○○○〇○○〇 〇 〇〇○○〇○○○〇○○〇〇〇
    ○○〇○○○〇○○〇〇〇〇○○○〇○〇○○○〇○○○〇○○〇〇〇〇

●●〇〇

I'd rather have only 5 people circled than 50 that don't follow this. So I'm happy. I follow 11 with out problems, though some are family and friends which can post random stuff.
    Last edited by Isaacgallegos; October 3rd, 2011 at 05:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12