Thread: wireless

Beans

wireless

Hello all
    I wanted to ask if I have a working wireless connection and I try to test a wireless usb one on that machine but I turn off the one that works and I try to use the usb wireless connector will it affect my wireless that is working. The reason I want to test this usb on a my laptop is that on my desktop I get the answer.Wireless is disconnected and when I click on the icon that shows if you have available connections in the area I don't get anything. I don't want to test and see if it will work in my laptop which also has Ubuntu 10.04 if it is going to cause a problem. I'm new to Ubuntu that is why I'm asking this question.
    Thank you for your help in advance.
    Lou

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: wireless

Quote Originally Posted by montana68 View Post
    Hello all
    I wanted to ask if I have a working wireless connection and I try to test a wireless usb one on that machine but I turn off the one that works and I try to use the usb wireless connector will it affect my wireless that is working. The reason I want to test this usb on a my laptop is that on my desktop I get the answer.Wireless is disconnected and when I click on the icon that shows if you have available connections in the area I don't get anything. I don't want to test and see if it will work in my laptop which also has Ubuntu 10.04 if it is going to cause a problem. I'm new to Ubuntu that is why I'm asking this question.
    Thank you for your help in advance.
    Lou
    no it wont cause any problems, but it the adapter doesn't work on the desktop it won't work on the laptop either
    you should try the adapter on ubuntu 11.04 maybe it'll work out of the box.
    for ubuntu 10.04 you may need to install drivers or do some minor fix, find out the wireless chip brand with this command and paste the results here.
    Code:
    lsusb
    Last edited by gandaran; October 2nd, 2011 at 09:55 PM.