Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to netbooks with ssd?

Beans

Re: What happened to netbooks w/ssd???

2GB RAM on a netbook... don't bother with any swap. My EeePC with 2GB RAM hasn't had swap ever and I haven't had a problem. I've even ran a virtual box machine with 1GB allocated with no issues.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frenchrh View Post
    Check out the ASUS X101. Its a $199 netbook that comes with 1 Mb RAM, 8 Gb SSD and Meego. and weighs < 2 lbs.

I'm setting up a bunch of these with 2Gb RAM, and Kubuntu. Works quite well in my initial tests.

Just trying to choose my final partioning plan,before installing on 9 of these X101

Any suggestions?
    1. With only 8 Gb SSD, should I use 2Gb of it for a Swap partition?? Is it necesary, or a waste of space?

2. Put user files on a 16 Gb microSD card (but don't put the home partition there. just link to it from home/documents

You could get by one 1GB Swap, but if the user wants to use hibernate or anything, go with 2GB. Then set /home to the 16GB SD card, to be plugged in always. The rest of the 8GB SSD should be used to OS and programs.

Beans

Talking Re: What happened to netbooks w/ssd???

Now you're making me want to grab me one of those cheaper netbooks with the small 8GB SSD's, just for running Ubuntu on

It sucks that they're hard to come by nowadays, but still. Slip in a 32GB SD card in it, and I have a nice cheap Ubuntu-only netbook for doing minor stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by frenchrh View Post
    Check out the ASUS X101. Its a $199 netbook that comes with 1 Mb RAM, 8 Gb SSD and Meego. and weighs < 2 lbs.
    Yeah, that's pretty nice actually. It's either that or get one of those 11.6" lenovo thinkpads (x120e) which have dropped to $300 finally.

Beans

I really love my Dell Inspiron M5030 laptop. Having said that, I would like to trash it soon. For one, it doesn't run Ubuntu at all. I'm stuck with Windows 7. Eventually, I'd like to get a desktop for Ubuntu only, and a netbook or something similar for taking with me everywhere. I wouldn't be doing anything too heavy on it. Mostly just typing notes/essays in school, giving slide show presentations, watching videos, and browsing the web. Maybe some html coding in emacs. But I would want the desktop to do all of the heavy things, and perhaps run as a server? I don't know, but I don't do much heavy things anyway right now.

Perhaps two netbooks? One of them as a home server for mail and a website? The second one for everything else. Just have a monitor, keyboard, mouse for at home? Hmmmmm. Either way, I need to save money. I have $0.00 right now.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcarey95 View Post
    IPerhaps two netbooks? One of them as a home server for mail and a website? The second one for everything else. Just have a monitor, keyboard, mouse for at home?
    If you need it only for netbook type stuff, but want a bigger monitor and it's gonna be stationary, get a nettop. They go for like 300 dollars.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just buy the netbook that tickles your fancy, and pop in an SSD. Done, end of story.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: What happened to netbooks with ssd?

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    If you need it only for netbook type stuff, but want a bigger monitor and it's gonna be stationary, get a nettop. They go for like 300 dollars.
    I have a nettop, and mine totally sucks. I wish I never would have bought it. It's a great concept, but the hardware stinks. I can't even watch hulu in full screen without it being like 5 frames per second. Also, it didn't take long for all of my USB slots to become corrupted and not work properly.

I have a Zotac Zbox hd-id11. Maybe the new ones are better, but I won't ever be buying another one.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I have a nettop, and mine totally sucks. I wish I never would have bought it. It's a great concept, but the hardware stinks. I can't even watch hulu in full screen without it being like 5 frames per second. Also, it didn't take long for all of my USB slots to become corrupted and not work properly.

I have a Zotac Zbox hd-id11. Maybe the new ones are better, but I won't ever be buying another one.
    USB slots don't get corrupted unless you have a operating system issue, like malware. Running flash on the older models was always a problem, especially high definition, but the newer models built on nvidia or AMd graphics work much better, especially with Windows.

I actually love my Lenovo S10 (first gen). It's a bit too small but its great for traveling, and lets me works on things my smart phone and tablet still struggle to do. It is funny my phone and tablet can play HD video and my netbook really can't.

I hate to say netbooks were a fad. A place holder until tablets stole the show. Now it seems PC manufacturers are building 15.6" computers for cheaper than 10" netbooks. Most of them run a bit faster too. I think my next purchase will be one of these machines. I have come to the conclusion that my laptop needs a screen bigger than 10", while oddly I need a tablet smaller than 10".

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post

I have an acer revo with the dual core atom ion and it's ok. Flash works pretty well actually although I am limited to 720p which is fine. It's also nice that it's small and very quiet.

The real stinker is the sound though because I'm stuck with analog stereo. At some point I'm going to have to upgrade to a surround sound system with an htpc that offers better sound.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast