Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing Thunar with Nautilus not sticking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Replacing Thunar with Nautilus not sticking?

I'm aware. I wasn't being completely serious. I was just looking for a reason to bump the thread hoping for someone who could help me. This is VERY frustrating. I hate Thunar...
    "Any program is only as good as it is useful." Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro

Also, here are the additional programs that would be removed along with Thunar:

Code:
    USER@COMPUTER:~$ sudo apt-get remove thunar
    [sudo] password for USER: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      thunar thunar-archive-plugin thunar-media-tags-plugin thunar-volman
      xubuntu-desktop
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 2,666 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    I'm cool with everything but "xubuntu-desktop" obviously. LAME!

Beans
    Distro

BUMP! It's been 4 days. I really need help still if someone is able. Thank you!

Beans
    Distro

Bump!!!

Beans
    Distro

Abandoned by OP. NOT SOLVED! Good luck to those who come across this in search of an answer for a similar situation.

Long story short? Stay away from Thunar at all costs.

Beans

xubuntu-desktop is just a metapackage; it shouldn't hurt anything to uninstall it. You may need to install it before performing an upgrade, though.

Beans

Hello, I have been playing with a lot of distributions and have found im very fond of xfce and Xubuntu.
    Honestly I've had no issues with thunar until I realised that it has no network places (I have no idea how I made it this far and failed to notice that thunar doesnt have network places)......now onto the interesting part...

I am working in VirtualBox with a fresh install of xubuntu for this very purpose also updated. I tried removing thunar and adding nautilus with not so great results unless I make a custom launcher with the command "nautilus --no-desktop". I then reverted to the snapshot I had taken of a fresh & up-to-date install. I then left thunar alone and installed nautilus and started playing arround, it seems that thunar can use part of nautilus to get to network places. To get it to do this (tested twice to verify before writing this)...... leave thunar alone and install nautilus (using the one in package manager called just "nautilus" Version 1:3.2.1-0Ubuntu1. When thats done go to preferred applications and change it to nautilus, log out and back in then change it back to thunar and logout/in once more ... you will then notice that when you open a folder is uses thunar but has a network button in the side panel.

ps. I still have much to learn and I do not know why this works but I assume it has something to do with the other packages that get installed with nautilus, maybe there is way to just install the one that adds the network feature.

Also, what else do you not like about thunar? Maybe there is more I wont like but have not come across yet.

Cheers
    Signed Bezgo

Beans

"Network" in Thunar depends on a package - gvfs-backends - which for most people doesn't install by default for reasons unknown.

The reason adding nautilus fixed it in thunar is that nautilus also has gfvs-backends as a dependency but this time it installed.

Beans

Thankyou Morbius1, after installing that package GVFS-Backends I simply logged out/in and thunar now has network capabilities. No need to install nautilus.

EDIT-
    I would like to report this so that newcomers do not have this as an issue but I'm unaware if it needs to be a suggestion or a bug report, do I go to Thunar, Xubuntu, or both?
    Last edited by Bezgo; October 31st, 2011 at 09:16 PM.

Beans

Fresh install of Xubuntu 11.10 misses gvfs-backends package: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/on...ta/+bug/878682

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12