Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Thunar with Nautilus not sticking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Exclamation Replacing Thunar with Nautilus not sticking?

I'm running Xubuntu 11.04 and I'm having issues with Thunar. Whenever I navigate to my FTP share on the local server or my SMB share on the local printer everything works fine. When I go to drag the folders onto the bar on the bottom left to bookmark them that works as well. The problem is that whenever I restart or shutdown my computer the bookmarks dissapear by the time I get back into it. I always had a positive experience with Nautilus so I installed that from the terminal. It was only about 5.5MBs when it was all downloaded and installed. I went to Applications Menu - Settings - Settings Manager - Preferred Applications - Utilities - File Manager and then I chose Nautilus to be the default. Unfortunately, whenever I open a folder it still comes up in Thunar. I even restarted the computer and went back into the Settings Manager to double check that the default File Manager was still set to Nautilus. It was but everything still uses Thunar. How do I get it to fully switch over? Also, if possible, I would like to add a Places button next to Applications Menu or wherever it has to go. I liked having the "Connect to Server..." option. This is a secondary concern however but I would like to solve both if possible. Thank you very much in advance for your help!
    "Any program is only as good as it is useful." Linus Torvalds

Beans

Re: Replacing Thunar with Nautilus not sticking?

You need to be very careful with using Nautilus in XFCE since it can affect the desktop itself.

What I did was the following:

Edit the application launcher as root:
    Code:
    gksu mousepad /usr/share/applications/nautilus-browser.desktop
    And change one line from this:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=File Browser
    Comment=Browse the file system with the file manager
    TryExec=nautilus
    Exec=nautilus --no-desktop --browser %U
    Icon=system-file-manager
    Terminal=false
    StartupNotify=true
    Type=Application
    NoDisplay=false
    Categories=System
    OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=nautilus
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=2.32.2.1
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=nautilus
    To this:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=File Browser
    Comment=Browse the file system with the file manager
    TryExec=nautilus
    Exec=nautilus --no-desktop --browser %U
    Icon=system-file-manager
    Terminal=false
    StartupNotify=true
    Type=Application
    NoDisplay=false
    Categories=System
    OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=nautilus
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=2.32.2.1
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=nautilus
    It's the "--no-desktop" part of the exec that prevents damage to things in xfce.

It should now show up in the Menu under > System > File Browser as opposed to Accessories > File Manager for Thunar.
    Last edited by Morbius1; September 30th, 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately what you suggested had no effect what-so-ever. There is no entry for Nautilus or File Manager in Applications Menu - System. Also, Thunar is still in charge. Is there a way to completely remove Thunar and force Nautilus safely? Thanks again.

Beans

I do not know how to replace Thunar with Nautilus other thn what you've done in the settings manager. Until someone comes by that does open Thunar and right click:
    Code:
    /usr/share/applications/File Browser
    And select: Send To > Desktop

That will be the safe Nautilus.
    Last edited by Morbius1; September 30th, 2011 at 08:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

AdamShumpisxXx, check out this thread, it is old (from 2008, note and read the green banner at the top of the browser window) it seems lke an idea that may work. It works by repointing the symlink for the thunar binary to a script calling on nautilus, so when the system calls for thunar, nautilus is launched. Another OP on a different thread on the topic points to it as as a solution to his/her similar situation

Please note the case of the letter "t" in thunar carefully as /usr/bin/Thunar is the actual binary and /usr/bin/thunar is the symlink pointing to the binary, removing the wrong one could get messy.

I will be trying it out here as soon as I get the time as I'm on Xubuntu as well and have been on the lookout for it.

Hope it works for you.

Edit: note you will still be able to launch Thunar by directly calling on /usr/bin/Thunar and not the symlink /usr/bin/thunar.
    Last edited by yetiman64; September 30th, 2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro

That also did nothing. These two commands:

Code:
    chmod +x /usr/local/bin/myfm
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/local/bin/myfm /usr/bin/thunar
    ...would not run unless "sudo" was placed before them. could that be the issue? Either way, whenever I open the File System icon or my Home icon it still opens in Thunar. Running this:

Code:
    /usr/bin/thunar
    ...in a terminal opens Nautilus, however. What is going on? It should not be this hard to change. Thanks for your help so far.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes those commands will need sudo, I didn't notice that code missing myself on finding those threads. Running a command against anything outside your home folder (in root's ownership) will require the use of sudo (elevated privileges).

Either way, whenever I open the File System icon or my Home icon it still opens in Thunar
    One more suggestion is to look in "(right click the desktop) > Applications > Settings > Settings Manager > Preferred Applications > Utilities > File Manager > other", and set a entry that is pointing to /usr/bin/thunar (whidh in turn points to your script). The current thunar entry here may be pointing directly to the binary and bypassing your script (though I'm not 100% certain of this, it may be of some help).

Please note I still haven't got to testing this myself and will be at least a few days till I do, but I will attempt it asap and get back here if I have any luck or find any discrepancies etc.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the suggestion but absolutely nothing came of it. There is a new peice of information though...I plugged a USB flash drive into my computer for the first time on Xubuntu and both Thunar AND Nautilus popped up and displayed it's contents.

Another unrelated matter that's bothering me depends on the answer to this question:

Is my current Desktop managed by Thunar?

I think it may be. I'll elaborate. The entire reason why I need Nautilus is because Thunar absolutely refuses to remember my network locations in it's left sidebar and also refuses to allow unmounting them to prevent time-outs. I have one network share from my printer's internal storage for scans and I have an FTP network share I prefer to interface by using Nautilus through a folder shortcut. Something is happening in Nautilus to where I cannot drag and drop to copy a file or folder from my FTP network share to my Desktop. I have to right-click the item, select "Copy To" and choose Desktop. I can however drag and drop from the Desktop to my FTP network share no problem.

Here's where I'm at...Is there any way to COMPLETELY remove Thunar and all of it's traces and force Xubuntu to use Nautilus? I absolutely HATE Thunar and to me and my needs it's 90% useless.

Thank you for the help so far. I hope someone can help.

Beans
    Distro

Still no development. Should I just "sudo apt-get remove thunar" and see what happens? Hopefully this bump will garner a response...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamShumpisxXx View Post
    Still no development. Should I just "sudo apt-get remove thunar" and see what happens? Hopefully this bump will garner a response...
    Just pay careful note if anything else gets taken out with Thunar. IIRC a bunch of programming may also be removed from xfce it Thunar is removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast