Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which company's use Open source and Linux based OS's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile which company's use Open source and Linux based OS's

Hi I am putting a site together to show off and promote open source software originally it was to be aimed at charities but after considering including small businesses too I have made it more general. So I need help the main the right now I need is advice like what Open software you use and recommended and especially which company's use Open source and Linux based OS's but any advice is welcome as my web design skills are also limited but I have managed to put a basic set of pages together for a start also a local charity has offered to help with funding etc.
    P.S. Unlike other sites I hope to offer specific advice in a friendly manner though to promote Open source software as I said mainly to charities as I think they could benefit the most from Open software.
    No one's born with knowledge, everyone has to learn at some point.
    Freedom of choice. If you make something you should be able to decide to either sell it or give it away free.
    Please remember to mark finished threads as SOLVED.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: [B] which company's use Open source and Linux based OS's [/B

Are Google's products i.e. Google earth and Picasa etc actually Open source?
    STAND UP + BE COUNTED LINUX USERS: http://counter.li.org/
    “If you don't know what you need a computer for, you probably don't need one"
    “I see little commercial potential for the Internet for at least ten years.”
    – Bill Gates, 1994

Beans
    Distro

Smile Which company's use Linux and Open source research

Hi I am putting a site together to show off and promote open source software originally it was to be aimed at charities but after considering including small businesses too I have made it more general. So I need help the main the right now I need is advice like what Open software you use and recommended and especially which company's use Open source and Linux based OS's but any advice is welcome as my web design skills are also limited but I have managed to put a basic set of pages together for a start also a local charity has offered to help with funding etc.
    P.S. Unlike other sites I hope to offer specific advice in a friendly manner though to promote Open source software as I said mainly to charities as I think they could benifit the most from Open software.
    Freedom of choice. If you make something you should be able to decide to either sell it or give it away free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: [B] which company's use Open source and Linux based OS's [/B

Doesn't the US department of defence or something use it?

Also, a lot of the bigger companies use it, especially if they have "web based" thingies, like banks and such. Not to mention like 95% of the top 100 supercomputers, and such...

And yes, Google use Linux. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu
    [538] [792] Just because you have a secure OS doesn't mean you are invincible. Be careful out there! Don't trust strange sites and such. Also, don't block JavaScript, It is not some insecure monster who will attack you at every turn!

Beans

Not a support request. Moved the the Community Café.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Which company's use Linux and Open source research

Errr...start by cataloging launchpad.

https://launchpad.net/

There is so much stuff up there, it's unbelievable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

But if you're going for charities:

-libreoffice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

UK companies using OSS who are clients of Sirius IT are listed on their website.

They're obviously not small business though, and have paid support.

Beans
    Hidden!

Companies wanting to minimize their IT costs should use open source software for their servers.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Which company's use Linux and Open source research

I am MORE interested in the general stuff right now I know that servers and supercomps use Linux but most office machines use Windows and that will be my strongest starting point.
    Finding company's that use Linux is much much easier than company's that use Open source software I have found.
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; September 29th, 2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling error corrected

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast