Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Office: Libre or Open

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Office: Libre or Open

I'm currently using the OpenOffice 3.2.1 that is the standard issue with my Lucid Lynx. Not bad, but I use KDE and a nasty bug in the KDE integration (excruciatingly slow file dialogs) had me remove the KDE integration package and the result is OO windows with a Motif look from the previous millennium.

I'm considering an upgrade, to a more recent version (3.2.1 is so 2010) but the question is: Libre or Open?
    Or is this distinction moot now that Open in Apache's hands?

Also, since I work surrounded by MS-Office addicts, compatibility is important.

Please avoid an office suite war in the answers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Office: Libre or Open

Open is own by Oracle now, so development have continue with Libre; have never met compatibility issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I really don't see much difference . I have OO installed on Windows and 11.04 comes with LO . I am not a power user of programs though .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Open is own by Oracle now
    Nah, they couldn't be bothered to support it, so they gave it to Apache.

Personally, I use LibreOffice; it's supposed to include a lot of feature and stability improvements from other OOo forks, but whether or not OOo has incorporated these too, I have no idea.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Libre is a fork of Open. At this point, they are almost identical. Developement will probably continue more heavily on LibreOffice, while OpenOffice will probably become a legacy app.

I prefer to move to the one that has a future.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You can use both versions in fact if you install both from their official site.

LibO has additional features but also additional bugs. Their Navigator is different (and a show stopper for some, including me).

They want to support as much as possible OOXML and that's not a very good point IMHO. OOo has made a better choice by not letting users save in OOXML (.docx, ...).
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Open Office is a much more mature product developed initially by Sun Microsystems

Libre Office is a recent spin-off, Open Office is much more stable .... and has more functionality and compatibility with Microsoft Office documents.

Open Office is definitely my choice.
    A stopped clock shows right time twice a day

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Am correct in believing that Ubuntu no longer support OO ?
    I have 10.10 installed & as stated by op it seems to be stuck on OO 3.2 when OO 3.3 was available in January 2011.
    Linux Registered User #443947 Ubuntu Regestered User #12604

Hakunamatata ...... No worries !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by aura7 View Post
    Open Office is a much more mature product developed initially by Sun Microsystems

Libre Office is a recent spin-off, Open Office is much more stable .... and has more functionality and compatibility with Microsoft Office documents.

Open Office is definitely my choice.
    This is sort of false advertising. LibreOffice started off as an exact clone of the OpenOffice code base, and most of the OO development team left Oracle and have continued there work with LibreOffice. LibreOffice currently has better compatibility with MS Office than OpenOffice, though they are not much different yet. OpenOffice has hardly been developed since LibreOffice began.

LibreOffice is the new OpenOffice. It's just managed by a different organization now.

OpenOffice is actually also managed by a different organization now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

LibO has indeed replaced OOo in the repositories. But anyway, OOo has never been updated in the repos once an Ubuntu flavor has been released. If you want to keep your OOo/LibO up to date, you've to install the vanilla version from the OOo/LibO web site.

See [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast