Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Office: Libre or Open

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Office: Libre or Open

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    As of now OOo is gathering dust in the ASF "incubator" while Libre development continues.
    There are so much bugs and regressions in LibO that it would be hard for companies to install it.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans

No it wouldn't.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libreoffice
    Done.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That's the easy part, sure (assuming that they run a debian based OS).
    Next step would be to face users rants (I remember threads in the LibO mailing list from LibO users wondering how the latest version made through with the regressions that were still not fixed).
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar Delest View Post
    That's the easy part, sure (assuming that they run a debian based OS).
    Next step would be to face users rants (I remember threads in the LibO mailing list from LibO users wondering how the latest version made through with the regressions that were still not fixed).
    User rants are fashionable. They are everywhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ok, the summary is: LO may be a bit more up-to-date, but it may be buggy. Ideally I would keep my old OO version around for a while. Can they coexist (I'll assume oowrite is renamed lowrite, etc)?

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar Delest View Post
    There are so much bugs and regressions in LibO that it would be hard for companies to install it.
    I haven't encountered any bugs in Libre 3.4 but if it doesn't work for you, you can stick to 3.3.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    Ideally I would keep my old OO version around for a while. Can they coexist
    Of course they can coexist if you install them from their web site, not from the Ubuntu repos.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: Office: Libre or Open

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    The ASF may believe whatever they want but Linux distos have switched to Libre already and Windows users have no reason to not follow suit since Libre can handle more MS OFfice formats anyway.

As of now OOo is gathering dust in the ASF "incubator" while Libre development continues.
    The main reason that some Linux distros switched was the acquisition of OOo by Oracle which many feared would mean trouble for OOo. Since then Oracle has turned over OOo to the ASF. So the playing field has changed significantly and it remains to be seem what becomes of OOo development.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans

The "openoffice.org" in the Ubuntu (or Debian, or Fedora, or Suse, etc) repositories was *NOT* vanilla OpenOffice.org from Sun/Oracle. Hasn't been for years.

It was go-oo, which was a heavily patched version of OpenOffice from a community project sponsored by Novell.

It may have been called OpenOffice.org, may have been branded as OpenOffice.org, but be assured it was go-oo.

It also had Debian patches.

When LibreOffice forked, the go-oo patches were one of the first things to be merged into the new code base. Debian, Red Hat, and other distro patches were also among the first things. The go-oo project and community were folded into LibreOffice.

What this means is that, in terms of actual code, LibreOffice is far closer to the OpenOffice.org you have been using than the OpenOffice.org from Sun/Oracle/Apache.

Yes, the branding has changed, and the name. And 3.4 has added a few new features. But from the standpoint of actual code, the change is minor for those using default Ubuntu packages.

Beans

I'm new to ubuntu, which do you recommend open office or libre office?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast