• Yes

808 67.33%
  • No

392 32.67%
Page 49 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Beans

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

I've installed bcm43xx-fwcutter, following the guide, but when I get to this point:
    Code:
    sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
    I get:
    Code:
    Cannot open input file /home/smistir/Desktop/wl_apsta.o
    I cannot find the file wl_apsta.o in my filesystem. Its certainly not on the desktop. Is that where the command is pointing it out to be?

Beans

The file "wl_apsta.o" is the file containing the firmware that need to be extracted by bcm43xx-fwcutter.

Since there is many firmware for different cards, and different versions of those firmware, you will need some experimentation : find many of those files from different locations (keep a track of where you've found them and what version it is) and try them all. Keep the one that works and seems stable.

I think it the Readme of bcm43xx-fwcutter their is some location on where to find firmware files.

Beans

i get to the point where i install networkmanager and it asks me to insert a CD. wtf . i dont have any cd's. why cant it check my resposotiroes or the internet somewhere . :/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by NoTiG View Post
    i get to the point where i install networkmanager and it asks me to insert a CD. wtf . i dont have any cd's. why cant it check my resposotiroes or the internet somewhere . :/
    Open Synaptic, go to Settings, click Repositories, and uncheck the CDROM box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Code:
    john@laptop:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation 0000:02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    This is the card I have.
    I followed the instructions, and when I re-booted, I had a four minute lag between signin at splash and when my desktop started to load. No wireless, and my 'network settings' GUI pops open empty. (Nothing visible but a white box on a tan background.) OK... there it is, after about seven minutes of trying. Plus it doesn't show any wireless, only lo and eth0.

Do you have any instructions for fixing the damage? Or do I just go ahead and re-install again?

Edit: I think I'll just follow my sig links... lol
    Registered Linux user #413419.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-san View Post
    Code:
    john@laptop:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation 0000:02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    This is the card I have.
    I followed the instructions, and when I re-booted, I had a four minute lag between signin at splash and when my desktop started to load. No wireless, and my 'network settings' GUI pops open empty. (Nothing visible but a white box on a tan background.) OK... there it is, after about seven minutes of trying. Plus it doesn't show any wireless, only lo and eth0.

Do you have any instructions for fixing the damage? Or do I just go ahead and re-install again?

Edit: I think I'll just follow my sig links... lol
    - o -

A reinstall of the OS is absolutely the last option. First you should scan all the pages to see if there's a solution to fix your problem, sometimes it's very small changes that makes it all work. I know 49 pages is a lot, but here is a link to start with - a solution that worked for me:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=468

/DieMongo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Finally I have got the bcm4318 of my Apple iBook G4 (Mid 2005) working. I have followed all hints from this thread, but I have got success with the last ppc (K)ubuntu kernel:
    - 2.6.15-26-powerpc
    - extracting with fwcutter firmware from the AppleAirPort2 (from OSX) into /lib/firmware and into /lib/firmware/2.6.15-26-powerpc
    - using WirelessAssistant to join my test WEP AP

The only problem is the distance from the access point: I got a working network only very close to the AP ( <= 10m/30feet ).
    Damn! .

I'm searching a better usable solution.

Beans

it's still not working for me. i've tried like...2 million different tutorials at this point. i know i havn't provided very much info, but that's because i don't know what to provide. i followed your directions exactly and it's still not working. please provide any input that you have, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

updated to include Edgy Knot 2 findings

Beans

Nickm,
    Thanks for the great tutorial. Got me up and running in no time. This is my first time using Linux and I'm really excited. Since I like to sit in my easy chair and surf the net I was really jazzed that I got my wireless working. Keep up the good work!

Wahooka
    -Linux newbie, looking for a better thing that Windows

Page 49 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast