• No

392 32.67%
Page 9 of 100 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

err...so my wireless was shifty as in it would stop working periodically...so i decided to just up and remove network manager. now my wireless and ethernet are screwed. any suggestions? i didnt remove the bcm43xx fwcutter. and i tried sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome but w/o internet connection im convinced it wont do anything. any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Slicedbread
    After much hassle and many fresh installs I got it to work.
    My laptop is a HP ZE2308WM (similar to the Compaq V2000 only with AMD and ATi).

Wireless card: 0000:05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

The driver listed in the first post did not work for me, so I used the one listed in the wiki: driver and it worked. It's an exe so you need to extract it and it seems to be an older driver but as long as it works...

Other things I tried that may have contributed to it working was blacklisting ndiswrapper like MasterChief1234 had suggested and commenting out the interfaces (except lo) as described in the gnome network manager wiki.

Hope this helps someone. EDIT: I uploaded the actual driver that I used from the wiki. It does work with WPA by the way, although it is limited to 11MBPS (B)
    Are you running i386 or amd_64? I keep getting the feeling that i'm using the wrong firmware files for my card.

I have a turion 64 in my laptop, but i'm running ubuntu i386. I've tried many different windows drivers without any luck. Does anyone know if the different drivers from different makers matter? (i have an HP dv8000 with wifi that only sometimes worked in windows...)

I'm going to try reloading nm_applet after setting iwconfig ap any and see if that works. Thats the only thing i haven't tried yet.

-RJ

Beans

Smile Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

I followed your howto exactly on my 17'' powerbook with airport extreme and it workes!

I used the link you gave to download the drivers.

I used Network manager at first but while -Network Manager- saw only my ethernet interface, network-admin (System -> administration -> networking) connected fine since I had already manually entered the ESSID and when I installed wifi-radar ( after removing network manager ) it indeed did work and actually found more wireless networks than OSx could.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by zahidism
    err...so my wireless was shifty as in it would stop working periodically...so i decided to just up and remove network manager. now my wireless and ethernet are screwed. any suggestions? i didnt remove the bcm43xx fwcutter. and i tried sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome but w/o internet connection im convinced it wont do anything. any ideas?
    can you still set the ethernet up using system > administration > networking?
    if you can just use that with your ethernet or connect to the internet and re-do this guide to get your wireless working again

Fwcutter is only used during the guide to cut up the sys file, and seing as you already have the firmware in the right folder its no longer needed

Read one of the bullet points at the top of this guide about being offline, see if that gives you any further help.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by n00bWillingToLearn
    I followed your howto exactly on my 17'' powerbook with airport extreme and it workes!

I used the link you gave to download the drivers.

I used Network manager at first but while -Network Manager- saw only my ethernet interface, network-admin (System -> administration -> networking) connected fine since I had already manually entered the ESSID and when I installed wifi-radar ( after removing network manager ) it indeed did work and actually found more wireless networks than OSx could.
    Hey thats great n00bWillingToLearn, thanks for your offer of image hosting too, i sent you a reply if your still here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rjstevens3
    Are you running i386 or amd_64? I keep getting the feeling that i'm using the wrong firmware files for my card.

I have a turion 64 in my laptop, but i'm running ubuntu i386. I've tried many different windows drivers without any luck. Does anyone know if the different drivers from different makers matter? (i have an HP dv8000 with wifi that only sometimes worked in windows...)

I'm going to try reloading nm_applet after setting iwconfig ap any and see if that works. Thats the only thing i haven't tried yet.

-RJ
    Im using the i386 dapper 6.06, It doesnt really make sense though, because the ones I use in windows from HP dont work nor do the ones in the main link. Each manufacturer must have modified the firmware or something like that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickm
    Hey thats great n00bWillingToLearn, thanks for your offer of image hosting too, i sent you a reply if your still here.
    I got the reply and BTW I think that this HowTo is easier / more updated to Dapper than the one in the wiki for airPort Extreme cards speifically so if others are also successfull mabe it should be updated.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Device/AirportExtreme

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kawayanan
    ok, I have an interesting tale

First of all, I have a Compaq Presario V2401CL which has a Broadcom BCM4318. Here is exactly what it reports:

As soon as 6.06 came out, I first tried kubuntu. I followed the instructions in this howto and it worked like a charm. The only difference is I did not do the last step of installing the gnome network manager. There was already a KDE Wireless Assistant loaded (wlassistant 0.5.5-0). Using the wireless assistant, I see the networks and can connect without a problem. It not automatic, it seems you have to manualy connect each time (though it does remember the settings).

After playing around for a bit, I decided that I actually wanted to gnome instead of KDE. To keep everything clean (and since I hadn't done any other customization), I just went with a clean ubuntu install. Once again, I followed this howto. Everything seemed to work well. After installing the gnome network manager and restarting, I could see the wireless networks that were available, but I cannot get any to connect. Mine uses WEP, but I cannot get it to connect without WEP either. As I mentioned, I can see the network. When I enter the WEP key and settings it just sits for a long time trying to connect (when I mouse over the icon I get a bubble that says it is waiting for a network key from my wireless network). I am sure my WEP key is correct and that I have the other correct settings (its open, not shared key).

To test this a bit and make sure something strange had not happened, I went back and did a clean install of kubuntu. Once again, it connects easily and I have wireless access. I did a second clean install of ubuntu and run into the same problem (see the wireless networks, but cannot connect).

I would rather used ubuntu with the gnome network manager if possible. The KDE wireless assistant requires manual connecting and that can be a pain when moving between different locations with multiple wireless networks and wired networks. I like the idea of the user level daemon that tries to keep you connected. I just can't seem to get it to work though I works great for the wired network. After trying to connect the wireless as soon as I plug in the ethernet cable it recognized it, activates it, and get an IP (DHCP). Anyone have any ideas what wrong with the wireless? Is this a software problem with the gnome network manager?

Thanks for the help.

Kawayanan
    Quote Originally Posted by nickm
    There is just network-manager as well as network-manager-gnome i dont know what that will do for Kde or another DE
    I understand that. As far as network-manager is the only daemon based "auto-connect" type of network manager available. network-manager-gnome is only a graphical frontend for network-manager. KDE does have a frontend called knetworkmanager. It doens't work for me either

I am back to using the more manual approach that worked. I am back to kubuntu and am using Wireless Assistant (wlassistant). I have to manually logon to each wireless network, but it works. The knetworkmanager (KDE frontend to network-manager) had the same problems as under gnome - the card seems to work, network-manager is started and running, I can see the available wireless networks, but when I try to connect to any (WEP or not) it just sits and never connects. From reading in this thread and others, it seems that there are a reasonable number of people haveing this type of problem.

I read through everything I can find about network-manager (doc's, man, web, etc.). I am looking for a way to get something like a verbose terminal output, but can't find anything like that. I don't know where to find any log messages for it either. Since it seems to almost work, I would like to see what part of connecting to the network is not working. I works great for wired, and can detect the wireless networks, it just hangs somewhere during the attempt to connect. If anyone how to see exactly what network-manager is trying to do as it connects, let me know. I will keep people posted on what I find.

Thanks btw for this howto I got me connected and close enough to network-manager working to smell it

Kawayanan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Amazing, it looks like someone is online at last. Thanks for a very good tutorial nickm. I am new to Linux and had no problems follow it.

I have the same chipset as (you) nickm, BCM4306, but I am on a PowerBook G4 12". I tried the automatic firmware installer in one of the latest Ubuntu flight versions and went with Network Manager. It't didn't work for me back then, but I could see the available networks. So this time I just went straight for Wifi-radar instead, and lo and behold, it worked. Thanks for the Wifi-radar tip System84, that might have saved me for some headache.

One issue I have is that I can't see how good the signal is. All the networks shows either zero or full spike all the time (depending on app), but I asume that's driver related.

Here is a question btw: Can I use my BCM43xx and Wifi-radar on WPA networks? I usually have WPA enabled.
    Last edited by tactus; June 3rd, 2006 at 10:43 PM.

Beans

I am getting so close to having this work. I can see my netowork, but I cannot connect. I even turned off encryption, but still no luck. Any one have any suggestions?

Page 9 of 100 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast