• No

392 32.67%
Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

A very good post on Broadcom Wireless cards. It worked like a charm for me.
    Great work Nickm.
    Registered Linux User#394486

Beans

Thanks for putting this update out here.
    I've worked for most of a day and couldn't figure out why I could not connect to the AP.

This solution should clearly be listed in the howto post.

I had to make one change though. IfUP would not read the Interfaces file unless I moved the auto eth1 line above the definition of the interface.

I did have a complete system lock-up after running the script manually. I hope it's not a sign of instability of the driver.

Thanks for your assistance.
    Jan Petersen

Quote Originally Posted by samjam View Post
    I have a linksys bcm card, I had no trouble getting it to work with native bcm drivers WITHOUT encryption, but who wants to run an open network?

Here's my solution to getting it working on bootup with encryption:

Put this in a file called: /usr/local/bin/bcm43xx

and then this fragment in my /etc/network/interfaces

If I specify the essids and keys in my network interfaces it doesn't work
    If I try to associate with the essid/AP with encryption on, it always fails, hence the script makes sure it is turned off.
    So then I set the essid, wait, and then I set the key and I have to say "restricted"

A most telling message in dmesg or /var/log/messages is one like this:

Jun 2 20:56:23 localhost kernel: [4295485.996000] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth1: link becomes ready

the magic "link becomes ready" means essid and encryption all working fine.

Beans

I have the AirForce rev 2 bcm4318 and this guide worked for me (I did black list ndiswrapper) A few things to note are:

Signal strength is invalid
    The connection can flake out sometimes, happens often in public areas with a lot of signals (coffee shop)
    When coming out of hibernation

Fiddling with the mod (reloading it, etc.) fixes most of these issues. Works great with my encrypted network and wpasupplicant.

Beans

Talking Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Thank god there is someone out there who likes me ... I have had alot of problems with my wireless and linux. I have always heard of ubuntu and decided to give it a go. Found out right away that it recognizes that I have a wireless card but it wouldn't connect. I went online on ethernet and found your site right away. Went through and when you said to type in the command to tell me what kind of wireless card I had I trembeled because I have the one that people say DOES NOT work ... well i continued on and in the end everything works perfectly! Thank you sooo much for your help i really appreciate it.

Beans

hi there, new to ubuntu but fooled around with mandrake and suse a few years back before i was lured back to the dark side. anyway, my problem is how to install the bcm43xx package i downloaded from berlios.de. i cant download using the synaptic manager cause im not conneted to the internet. i can only connect using t-mobile hotspots so i think i have a chicken and egg problem. i've already downloaded it using a different pc and copied the files to my desktop but cant figure out how to install it.

any help would be appreciated. thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This is an incredible post i have to say. thanx a lot, but the problem with me is that i have the cused broadcom 4318. I have tried EVERYTHING and it never works. I am not going to ask how this is going to work out for me because i know that there is no possible way for that to happen. All i want to ask is what other card should i buy? I guess i am going to have to buy a WiFi card to get WiFi on my laptop. So if you could please give me a tip on what card i should go and buy (the ones that you can insert in the WiFi card socket that every laptop has) and that would work with ubuntu, that would be more then thankfull.

Thanx in advance

PS: I have a Acer 5002WLMi

Beans

Okay.

Ubuntu 6.06
    Dell Truemobile 1300
    Broadcom 4603 (I think)

Followed the guide in the first post to the letter. The light on my wireless card turned on like it does on windows. But it still doesn't work. I don't UNDERSTAND. My network manager does not show a wireless signal at all. I am three feet from my router. So yes.

I am wired as well, so it is okay. I have also tried setting up a static IP and junk.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Beans

tnx u!!! i have tryd to fix my WLAN al night long... this is the only guide that has workt whit my BCM4318 card.... works only whit gde, not kde... or do some1 have a smart solution to that?
    Last edited by tva88; September 18th, 2006 at 09:15 PM.

Beans

d

Beans

Did all the steps, but when I type in:
    sudo modprobe bcm4306
    it gives me this error:
    FATAL: Error inserting bcm43xx (/lib/modules/2.6.15-27-386/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Any suggestions for what's wrong?

Jorgen

Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast