808 67.33%
  • No

392 32.67%
Page 24 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Beans

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Quote Originally Posted by smylie
    my god man. i've been using linux since 1997 and I never knew you could hunt thru menuconfig like that! i hate to think how many hours of hunting round that would have saved me =)

i do have one more question . . . how did you find out what the dependancies on making it appear are?

thanks heaps =)

smylie
    They are them. Thanks to the bcm team!
    downloading vista public beta
    The Linux Counter
    Registered user/machine: 418342/326176
    http://www.tuxtalk.org - TuxTalk Linux Community - Friendly, non distro-specific, helpful, alternative Linux community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: 4318 Working

Thanks, crag277!!
    Following the steps on your ho to, it made the broadcom wireless card on my Acer Aspire 3003 works flawlessly!
    Nut i have a minor correction to make on your how to. Where it says

Quote Originally Posted by crag277
    Type "sudo gedit etc/modprobe.d/blacklist"
    Should say "sudo gedir /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    A newbie like me may get troubles with this

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: 4318 Working

why is everyone reporting using NDIS Wrapper? i really hope all these people have atleast tried my guide first
    It might be better to take NDIS questions to a thread related to their use?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickm
    why is everyone reporting using NDIS Wrapper? i really hope all these people have atleast tried my guide first
    It might be better to take NDIS questions to a thread related to their use?
    They probably tried using the bcm43xx driver but failed and the title is labled "How to: Broadcom Wireless Cards". Maybe you should include ndiswrapper instructions as an alternative, I personally found that it's more stable, as easy to install and performs better than bcm43xx driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Thanks for the great how to! I had thought at first it had not functioned however I did not read through the how to properly and built my own problems. I went from a fresh install and followed the how to line line for line (same broadcom device). Now I am up on wireless on my Compaq Pressario 2585US! Thanks a lot! =D> One question, under breezy, I was able to get 802.11g support with the same device using ndiswrapper however I noted that my wireless under 6.0.6 is only 802.11b. Is this due to the way the driver functions under dapper drake? Or is it some failure that I made?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Slicedbread
    They probably tried using the bcm43xx driver but failed and the title is labled "How to: Broadcom Wireless Cards". Maybe you should include ndiswrapper instructions as an alternative, I personally found that it's more stable, as easy to install and performs better than bcm43xx driver.
    Ah Right, well its never worked for me so i cant provide instructions for how to get it working..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

great topic, thanks to the author.

for BCM4318 users (same here, on my inspiron 600m): look like the post by Slicedbread is the best for us.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=55

here is what I did
    installed bcmxx
    downloaded bcmwl5 from Slisedbread's link in above post
    blacklisted ndiswrapper
    rebooted
    sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware bcmwl5.sys (got same errors here as other BCM4318 users, don't worry)
    rebooted

and cheers, signal is there

Beans

Re: How to: *updated* Broadcom Wireless cards

Quote Originally Posted by big_gie
    I'm having trouble using NetworkManager. It works ok with cable, but wireless is a no-go.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 with a Broadcom 4306 wifi card using bcm43xx.

Attached is the log of "NetworkManager --no-daemon"

It get stock to line 141 for 60 seconds it seems, then time out with "Activation (eth1/wireless): association took too long (>60s), failing activation."

Anyone have an idea???

Thanx
    Anyone?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickm
    Ah Right, well its never worked for me so i cant provide instructions for how to get it working..
    For me ndiswrapper segfaults. Oh well...
    The Linux Counter
    Registered user/machine: 418342/326176
    http://www.tuxtalk.org - TuxTalk Linux Community - Friendly, non distro-specific, helpful, alternative Linux community.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Upgraded from Breezy, tried all day yesterday to get this to work following the guide. Have an Compaq nx9010 with a Broadcom 4303. Blacklisted ndiswrapper, deleted old drivers, used the cutter, modprobed, etc. To no avail, could see network, but dhcp failed to get an ip. This morning, I blacklisted bcm43xx and unblacklisted ndiswrapper. Rebooted. It worked. Sorry. I really wanted this to work for me as I'd rather use a native linux driver, but I don't have time to keep trying to get it to work.

DW

Page 24 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast