• Yes

808 67.33%
  • No

392 32.67%
Page 11 of 100 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Beans

Re: How to: Broadcom Wireless cards

Ok, well this did work for me at the office since they have B and G enabled on the routers around campus. However at home I've only got G available and hence it doesn't connect to the Netgear router I have even though it can detect the network. Since I would rather use G anyway, how can I enable this? The "iwconfig eth2 rate 54M" command didn't work for me. What I get is

Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not permitted.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bluezdood
    Ok, well this did work for me at the office since they have B and G enabled on the routers around campus. However at home I've only got G available and hence it doesn't connect to the Netgear router I have even though it can detect the network. Since I would rather use G anyway, how can I enable this? The "iwconfig eth2 rate 54M" command didn't work for me. What I get is

Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not permitted.

Anyone know how to fix this?
    Use the sudo command in front. What router do you have? It seems strange that it is able to support 54 but not 11. I doubt that will change much because as far as I can tell gnome network manager doesnt reference /etc/network/interfaces at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks! My wireless works like a charm, but. There's one but. Is there anyway at all to get this to connect at boot up? Theres too much for my wife to modprobe and use network manager. She only uses the internet. I've tried playing with networking interfaces but still I can't get it to load at boot up.

I have a broadcom 4306 card.

Anyone with a solution to this?

Jørgen

Beans

Mine finally sorted itself out. Works now with ndiswrapper and networkmanager

Beans

Can I please tell everybody this message from the people at #bcm-users:

When Ubuntu upgrade to a new kernel (and thus a new version of the bcm module) you MUST NOT use the driver supplied on this thread. It is IMPERATIVE that you use wl_apsta.o (see the wiki article or log on to #bcm-users OR run ubuntus script). This new module + driver fixes the invalid AP bug. I have sent a PM to whatshisname (the starter of this thread, sorry i forgot!) as it is a important issue.
    The Linux Counter
    Registered user/machine: 418342/326176
    http://www.tuxtalk.org - TuxTalk Linux Community - Friendly, non distro-specific, helpful, alternative Linux community.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joergenlie
    Thanks! My wireless works like a charm, but. There's one but. Is there anyway at all to get this to connect at boot up? Theres too much for my wife to modprobe and use network manager. She only uses the internet. I've tried playing with networking interfaces but still I can't get it to load at boot up.

I have a broadcom 4306 card.

Anyone with a solution to this?

Jørgen
    It should as long as the bcm driver is not blacklisted. As soon as you boot up type dmesg. Do you see anything related to the bcm driver? It should say something similar to this:
    [4294686.432000] bcm43xx driver

Are you using the driver on this thread. It works like a breeze for me. Disable the module and delete all the fw files out of /lib/firmware. Then fwcutter the file on the thread **unzip it first** and ignore the microcode11.fw error. Copy all files to /lib/firmware. Reboot and be on your way to networking heaven!
    The Linux Counter
    http://www.tuxtalk.org - TuxTalk Linux Community - Friendly, non distro-specific, helpful, alternative Linux community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

dmesg lists the bcm driver and I have used the driver from this thread, but still it will not connect?

And how do I disable the module?

Jørgen

Beans

dmesg lists the bcm driver and I have used the driver from this thread, but still it will not connect?

And how do I disable the module?

Jørgen
    You want to turn off bcm and use ndiswrapper? Simpy edit /etc/modprobe.d/interfaces and add blacklist bcm43xx and reboot your computer.
    The Linux Counter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Ok. Is it better to use ndiswrapper? I get my wireless to connect and it works fine, but thats just after modprobing it and restart it in network-manager. The only problem is that it doesnt connect at boot up so I have to ifconfig up, depmod -a, update-modules and modprobe 43xx to get connection.

Jørgen

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Ok. Is it better to use ndiswrapper? I get my wireless to connect and it works fine, but thats just after modprobing it and restart it in network-manager. The only problem is that it doesnt connect at boot up so I have to ifconfig up, depmod -a, update-modules and modprobe 43xx to get connection.

Jørgen
    Theirs a note about this in the guide about checking for nm-applett in the sessions, maybe you could add your modprobe stuff also?

Page 11 of 100 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast