Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good all around media program?

Beans

Good all around media program?

Greetings to all!
    I have just started using Ubuntu this week along side Win XP, and so far I am loving Ubuntu. However, I do want a good all around media program along the lines of Win Media Player or iTunes. Something that will play, rip, and burn. Any suggestions for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Good all around media program?

Ubuntu comes with Banshee, which I'm sure does all three. Otherwise, there's Rhythmbox available in the repositories.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

What I use is exaile. I like it because you can have your whole library there(like iTunes). I don't know about burning disks though. I think amarok might be able to. vlc will play just about anything for you. k3b and brasero are programs you can use for burning cds if you need to. songbird has an itunes feel to it. I don't use it though so I don't know what else it can do(like burning cds)... Those are a few you could try. I personally just use exaile for listening to music and brasero to burn anything, but I don't really burn cds that often. There's quite a few to choose from, you could probably just google linux media player and start trying them out til you find one that works for you. which is what i did.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, welcome to the forum! I use brasero that comes installed in ubuntu to burn cd/dvds.

You will need to install the restricted packages to burn cd/dvds I use this guide for all media needs.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683
    Thank you

Beans

One of the nice features of the KDE environment (in Kubuntu) is the way it handles CDs. After the CD is loaded, KDE displays the disk contents as a set of folders with different encodings. You can then drag-and-drop the items from the FLAC folder onto the hard drive to rip the files into that format. Other options include Ogg and MP3 if you have the restricted-extras packages installed. You also have the option of ripping individual tracks or the entire disc as a single file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

VLC is a good allround application as it handles many file types (excluding windows media files with extension .wmv) along with streaming.
    I have always used K3B for burning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

+1 for vlc

Beans

Thank you all! I'll do a little digging the next few days and give all the suggestions trial runs.
    Definitely seems to be a very friendly environment here!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Yup. Only reason I'm still here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Jajuk is the closest I have used to Windows Media Player except that it doesn't burn,rip and synchronize. It has a awesome media library manager but no equalizer.
    Don't Pirate Just Share

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast