Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer freezing related to video problem?

Beans

Re: Computer freezing related to video problem?

Yuk. The list of supported video says that there is a freeze screen bug with i945. So go to bug 445056 and scroll down to bottom. Aha! says that

As per last comment, this is believed fixed.
    So go to usr/lib/dri . Nope. i915 and i965 are there, but no i945. Not in dri_alternates, either.

Hmm. Spot the documentation on binary drivers . Maybe the answer lies in Xorg.conf.d? says it is in usr/lib/Xll/Xorg.conf.d. No it's not - I guess that assumes I have plugged in something else.

As a newcomer, this is all getting a bit above my pay grade. Is there someone out there who can tell me where the driver is that the hardware support people now believe has its bug fixed?
    Last edited by kiwibrit; September 30th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.

Beans

Hmm. Going to the Software centre, I see the 'fixed' driver is what I have installed. I suspect that it is not fixed, and that my problem is one I cannot solve. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

One of the guys on the launchpad site said it wouldn't lockup on him when he had desktop effects turned off, you could try that.

Beans

Thanks, I'll try that if I come back to Ubuntu - have switched to Linux Mint to see how that does - since it supports my graphic chipset more specifically. So far, it looks promising. Straight out of the box, it recognised my wireless card, and so far (touch wood) it hasn't frozen. I didn't know about Xubuntu before I switched, but apparently that's something to keep in mind, too.

Thanks for your interest -and may the ABs win the World Cup!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibrit View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that if I come back to Ubuntu - have switched to Linux Mint to see how that does - since it supports my graphic chipset more specifically. So far, it looks promising. Straight out of the box, it recognised my wireless card, and so far (touch wood) it hasn't frozen. I didn't know about Xubuntu before I switched, but apparently that's something to keep in mind, too.

Thanks for your interest -and may the ABs win the World Cup!
    Well, what would you guess? today I also got linux mint! I was tired of having ubuntu 11.10 beta.
    It was slow on my hardware, although it supported my graphics nicely it just didn't cut it.
    yes go the ABs!!

Beans
    Distro

Just want to let you know that this was in update manager today: This package provides the driver for the Intel i8xx and i9xx family of chipsets, including i810, i815, i830, i845, i855, i865, i915, i945 and i965 series chips. This package also provides XvMC (XVideo Motion Compensation) drivers for i810/i815 and i9xx and newer chipsets. More information about X.Org can be found at: This package is built from the X.org xf86-video-intel driver module.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12