Thread: View .odt files Within Terminal

Beans

View .odt files Within Terminal

Hi guys,
    I've been using linuxcommand.org to try to teach myself the command line. I like the "less" command but it isn't that useful since almost all of my text documents are saved in .odt. Is there away that i can view .odt like "less" lets you view ASCII?

Thank You

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: View .odt files Within Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by theoreo25 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I've been using linuxcommand.org to try to teach myself the command line. I like the "less" command but it isn't that useful since almost all of my text documents are saved in .odt. Is there away that i can view .odt like "less" lets you view ASCII?

Thank You
    Um...I don't think .odt files are ASCII. It (.odt) is the file extension for OpenOffice Writer template documents.

Beans

Hi guys,

Thank You
    if you want to view office docs from terminal with text editors then save them as text files.

cat
    less
    more
    vi
    nano

etc.... will open them and view them, .odt is meant to and often does contain extra information which though the above commands will view them it will be a garbled mess
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Collier View Post
    Um...I don't think .odt files are ASCII. It (.odt) is the file extension for OpenOffice Writer template documents.
    i know that .odt isn't ASCII but i was hopping that maybe there was some sort of command that i could install that would allow terminal to view .odt. like if you want the command "htop" you just download it and it works within the terminal.

Beans

i know that .odt isn't ASCII but i was hopping that maybe there was some sort of command that i could install that would allow terminal to view .odt. like if you want the command "htop" you just download it and it works within the terminal.
    it is designed to work with open office or libreoffice and its variants.

Not everything can work in a terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

.od* formats are just zip files with a bunch of xml files inside. You can unzip them and look into xmls in cli, but xml is not exactly easy on eyes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    .od* formats are just zip files with a bunch of xml files inside. You can unzip them and look into xmls in cli, but xml is not exactly easy on eyes.
    ha yeah good point.

you could extract and then

Code:
    less content.xml
    i think thats the file, but its gonna have all the mark up in it and wont be easy to read

Beans

If anyone still cares about this question, the command is odt2txt --stdout some_file.odt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.