Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Bizarre video running from CD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    15

    Question Bizarre video running from CD

    Just booted the CD of Ubuntu 11. It's "trying" to work, but the display is acting strange. Trying to drop down a menu creates only a black rectangle on the screen. So does clicking anywhere on the screen. Switching workspaces sort of cleans things up, but only temporarily. Bottom line, it's unusable. I wonder if doing a real install to a hard drive would correct any of this.

    Target system is a Dell Dimension 4600 P4, which AFAIK is about as "vanilla" as you can get in a PC.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Bizarre video running from CD

    I suspect your problem is the low spec of that machine, particularly the 512MB of ram.

    Are you sure that the live CD is a good one, burned as slow as possible, and from a good .iso file in the first place? I certainly don't imagine you'll get unity to run on that machine, but you should have managed the classic desktop, I think.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    15

    Re: Bizarre video running from CD

    Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I suspect your problem is the low spec of that machine, particularly the 512MB of ram.

    Are you sure that the live CD is a good one, burned as slow as possible, and from a good .iso file in the first place? I certainly don't imagine you'll get unity to run on that machine, but you should have managed the classic desktop, I think.
    Actually, I upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB. My CD wasn't burned "as slow as possible"--it was 8X in a brand-new burner. The burning software reported success (I'm pretty sure verify was turned on). I have no reason to suspect the downloaded image.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Bizarre video running from CD

    Quote Originally Posted by GRobLewis View Post
    Actually, I upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB. My CD wasn't burned "as slow as possible"--it was 8X in a brand-new burner. The burning software reported success (I'm pretty sure verify was turned on). I have no reason to suspect the downloaded image.
    The next suspect condition would be that the Video GPU (yours) might need a special kernel boot option to boot the LiveCD. Do you know what brand and model Video Chipset you have?

    Once we know that, there is a way to force the Install disk to boot in a VGA mode... or to Download the Alternate Install ISO image which is default as a text based install... but I wouldn't really recommend an install until you can confirm with the LiveCD that you "Can" run Ubuntu.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 26th, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    15

    Re: Bizarre video running from CD

    I believe the system has Intel motherboard graphics. The control panel says "Intel Extreme Graphics 2" and there's nothing that looks like a graphics card in the expansion slots (which contain a modem and a WiFi card).

    In an attempt to get as much speed as possible, I have it set to 16-bit color, with resolution at 1280 x 1024 (60Hz). The system info lists an Intel 82865G Graphics Controller.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Bizarre video running from CD

    Quote Originally Posted by GRobLewis View Post
    I believe the system has Intel motherboard graphics. The control panel says "Intel Extreme Graphics 2" and there's nothing that looks like a graphics card in the expansion slots (which contain a modem and a WiFi card).

    In an attempt to get as much speed as possible, I have it set to 16-bit color, with resolution at 1280 x 1024 (60Hz). The system info lists an Intel 82865G Graphics Controller.
    Have you tried different kernel boot options such as

    xforcevesa
    i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0
    remove splash from the boot line
    add vga=xxx, where xxx is a valid decimal VESA mode for your card... also set the GFXMODE to that same resolution...

    2 workarounds for your card-->
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text # (by adding that line /etc/default/grub and running update-grub) and remove the "splash" boot switch from the kernel boot line. That switch has known problems with your card...

    Please use posts 1 and 3 of this sticky for instructions and reference:
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

    Once you get the kernel to boot and get to a text console... If you have hwinfo installed (you should if not) then
    Code:
    sudo hwinfo --framebuffer
    sudo hwinfo --monitor
    Then you can use the results to find a shared graphics mode that matches between your monitor and GPU... and use those results (will give a hex value for each mode to use in vga=).

    Edit-- Use post 3 of that sticky for instructions on how to change and edit the kernel boot options on the LiveCD... Use these options in "TRY" mode of the LiveCD to see if you can get the graphics to run succesfully.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 27th, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •