Thread: Linux, Windows and Linger - TCP/IP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Linux, Windows and Linger - TCP/IP

Hello!

I ran into a mysterious problem lately with one device re-transmitting a TCP packet after the connection was reset by the receiver device.

I'm absolutely no expert on the matter, but while googling through the net and books I found a small difference in the way Linux and Windows appear to handle lingering that might be the cause of my problem:

Source A states that Windows discards the queue of the socket and returns control to the caller when l_onoff is 0. Fine. Two Linux/Unix sources I found (here and [in German] here, page 743 at the bottom) state that Linux discards the queue if l_onoff is 1 and l_linger (the time to linger) is 0. For l_onoff = 0 the two sources say that control is returned to the caller, but the socket is closed after the queue is transmitted.

Is that correct? I found Linux forums as well where people state that Linux will discard the queue if you set l_onoff to 0, so I'm confused.

What's right and what is wrong?

The faulty device has l_onoff set to 0 with Linux, and so might send the already queued re-transmission even after the controlling program thinks it has closed the socket.

Thank you very much, and sorry that I deal with powers at the moment that I don't understand,

Blutkoete
    Last edited by Blutkoete; September 26th, 2011 at 08:04 AM.
    If SUDO is all-powerful, can SUDO start a process that SUDO can't kill?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Linux, Windows and Linger - TCP/IP

Quote Originally Posted by Blutkoete View Post
    Hello!

I ran into a mysterious problem lately with one device re-transmitting a TCP packet after the connection was reset by the receiver device.

I'm absolutely no expert on the matter, but while googling through the net and books I found a small difference in the way Linux and Windows appear to handle lingering that might be the cause of my problem:

Source A states that Windows discards the queue of the socket and returns control to the caller when l_onoff is 0. Fine. Two Linux/Unix sources I found (here and [in German] here, page 743 at the bottom) state that Linux discards the queue if l_onoff is 1 and l_linger (the time to linger) is 0. For l_onoff = 0 the two sources say that control is returned to the caller, but the socket is closed after the queue is transmitted.

Is that correct? I found Linux forums as well where people state that Linux will discard the queue if you set l_onoff to 0, so I'm confused.

What's right and what is wrong?

The faulty device has l_onoff set to 0 with Linux, and so might send the already queued re-transmission even after the controlling program thinks it has closed the socket.

Thank you very much, and sorry that I deal with powers at the moment that I don't understand,

Blutkoete
    I think it's time to download and read the source code.
    Regards,

Karlson