Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't boot from USB

Beans

Can't boot from USB

Hi all,

I was trying to try Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit) but it won't boot..

In the boot menu, I get many options regarding booting form an USB; There is USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM and USB-HDD.

I tried them all but only two, USB-ZIP and USB-HDD, responded. A window showing Ubuntu option list appears. When I choose to try Ubuntu, the screen for a second gets black with writing scrolling down fast (something like the matrix effect) and then an (Ubuntu waiting screen with dots lighting up) shows and nothing happens. When I tried to get out of this window by pressing Esc, a black screen showed, reporting what's happening which was mostly repeating "can't open /dev/se0: no medium found"

Hope I was clear enough
    Is there any information you need to now?
    My USB is HDD0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can't boot from USB

Hi, it sounds like a the files are corrupt, or it is not reading the usb right.

I suggest trying to download ubuntu again using the bit torrent option, it makes sure the files are good.

Also what version of ubuntu are you trying to install.
    Thank you

Beans

Hi,

Ok. I'll try the bit torrent and write back what happens. I was trying Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit)

Beans

Hi,

I downloaded the torrent and the same thing happened

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, you can try what this link says it may get you into ubuntu, but I am not sure about that exact error, I have been researching it but I did not find any exact answers.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    I do not think this will help but it might.

How did you create the bootable usb? did you use the way the website said?

How long did you wait when the screen with the dots came up? it takes a while for it to load when you use the cd.
    Thank you

Beans

Hi,

Ok, I'll check the link and get back to you.

I followed the instructions literally.
    As for me waiting, I think I didn't wait that long. As soon as I found these error reports the couple of times I tried to boot the USB, I would restart the PC. And finally I posted in here.

I found out from the BIOS window that my USB is HDD0, other than that I know nothing. So, I'm wondering is there any thing I should make sure of or do regarding my USB?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My motherboard has all those USB options to boot. And when I first created a bootable Flash drive I also could not get it to boot. I tested it in my portable and it booted there, so I knew it was configured correctly.

Then one day I was playing with grub and installed it to another drive. When I went in to choose to boot another drive (and happened to have flash plugged in) there it was. Even with all the USB choices a flash drive is just seen as another hard drive.

I also can boot flash from f12 choose hard drive and then it is a choice. F12 is the one time boot key in my system.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Hi there,

Have you tried this http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ???

Hello wildmanne and oldfred

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BonbonRose View Post
    Hi all,

I was trying to try Ubuntu 10.04 (32-bit) but it won't boot..

In the boot menu, I get many options regarding booting form an USB; There is USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM and USB-HDD.

I tried them all but only two, USB-ZIP and USB-HDD, responded. A window showing Ubuntu option list appears. When I choose to try Ubuntu, the screen for a second gets black with writing scrolling down fast (something like the matrix effect) and then an (Ubuntu waiting screen with dots lighting up) shows and nothing happens. When I tried to get out of this window by pressing Esc, a black screen showed, reporting what's happening which was mostly repeating "can't open /dev/se0: no medium found"

Hope I was clear enough
    Is there any information you need to now?
    My USB is HDD0
    1. Maybe your system was still loading (during the waiting screen with dots lighting up) and you did not wait long enough for it to finish and arrive at the desktop screen. If the USB drive was not available to the system, I think there would be no waiting screen with dots.

2. How did you make the bootable USB? I have good experience with Unetbootin.

3. If your system treats your USB key as a hard disk, enter the BIOS menu and change the boot order so that the USB 'disk' is selected first.

Edit: I agree with kurt18947 that it can be important to prepare your USB drive in a good way. I use 'gparted' and delete whatever in on it before. Then I make a FAT32 partition with boot flag and lba flag. Make a label if you want to identfy it easily!
    Last edited by Olle Wiklund; September 29th, 2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: partitioning and formating

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What motherboard or BIOS do you have? I have one desktop with a Gigabyte MoBo, 785 chipset and Award Modular Bios v. 6.xxx. I prepared several bootable USB drives with both Startup Disk Creator and unetbootin. The USB drives would boot in another desktop and a Thinkpad but not in this one desktop. I'd get a "boot error" message or "grub rescue" prompt. After some research the fix was to format the USB drive in Windows 7 then create the bootable Linux drive. I'm not sure what the difference was but it did work. If you have access to a Win 7 install that might be worth a try.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast