Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu vs Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xubuntu vs Lubuntu

Fixing up an old machine for a older lady to see pics of her grandchild many states away. The machine is a 1,000 Mhz w/ith 1/2 gig Ram. Will be used for email and Facebook mostly, possibly Skype. My question is this: given usage and specs of machine, would Xubuntu or Lubuntu be the better chioce<

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Xubuntu vs Lubuntu

Hey,it would really be either or with which one,lubuntu is very light weight and will have all the programs required and xubuntu will support all programs but looks a tad nicer,and has some add-ons that lubuntu dont have like desktop effects Etc, either or would be my answer.

Hope this helps.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same."

John Wayne (May 26, 1907 – June 11, 1979)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

As a rule, I've found that old ladies don't follow the 'don't click if it's getting too slow' rule, so I would suggest lubuntu. I have similiar spec machine, it can happily run 10 windows without too much slowness.

The disadvantage is the looks; the default theme quickly looks dull; and the installed ones are hideous.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is a good thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1450688

My personal experiences with Lubuntu are not that good, though I like the concept. It doesnt run stable on my pc. Beside that, Lubuntu is less supported. I would suggest to use Xubuntu, since I believe it gives less troubles. But these are my thoughts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Fixing up an old machine for a older lady to see pics of her grandchild many states away. The machine is a 1,000 Mhz w/ith 1/2 gig Ram. Will be used for email and Facebook mostly, possibly Skype. My question is this: given usage and specs of machine, would Xubuntu or Lubuntu be the better chioce<
    Lubuntu, period.

I'm testing Lubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 now on two PCs. I'm actually typing this from there. It's getting MUCH better after each release.

One of my machines is P4 @3.0GHz - 2GB RAM - Intel Graphics Card and Lubuntu is what I prefer to install over there.

If these are the hardware specifications and you will use it for what you mentioned then don't hesitate to go for Lubuntu.

I've never used Xubuntu on daily basis but I read on this forum that many are saying it's NOT Lightweight but Med-weight.

The other PC I'm testing has 242MB RAM and I have installed Lubuntu on that PC last night without any problems. Just the installation process was slow but after that, everything is ok.

With 512MB RAM, you'll feel like using 2GB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

+1 for Lubuntu all the way.

Beans

Xubuntu is more stable than lubuntu.. i had lubuntu, its fast but sometimes had on my pc some holdup.. my son thinks it chrashes for even but if wait a sec, go further... xubuntu its more stable then lubuntu...its my opinion...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm dual booting Lubuntu on my netbook, but only did so after some Live USB experimenting and learning to deal with Synaptic Package Manager. I really like the quick and slick Lubuntu OS, but really don't like the preinstalled software on it for several basic functions, e.g. Chromium can be a pain for new users sometimes rejecting Flash installation and failing to load some pages. Similarly, apps like Abiword are are quite good in their own way but if she writes a note in its native format and sends it to somebody with Microsoft Word they will have problems and so will the sender.

I personally learned about Ubuntu through the ordinary Desktop install, then switched to Lubuntu for its speed. My main beef with Lubuntu is their preinstalling a lot of uncommon and in many ways less useful software, apparently a money thing. Give a little thought to a non-techie who will be communicating with people who overwhelmingly use Microsoft products.

I tried Xubuntu briefly on USB but it failed to find my hard drive so I gave it up. I forget what Xubuntu preinstalls. But I do suggest you give this elderly user a set of preinstalled software that will NOT put her on the "bleeding edge" but instead gives her something easy to deal with. My guess is relative "speed" is less important than functionality and simplicity to such a user.
    Last edited by I2k4; February 3rd, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
    New to Linux. Currently dual boot Lubuntu 10.10 with W7 on Acer One netbook. Experimenting with Mint 15 XFCE on netbook and a Dell laptop with peripherals (Persistent 8GB Live USB.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd use Xubuntu.

OP: Share the experience, which one did you use? And how did it go?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1 for Lubuntu as well. I've tested it on a Pentium II 350 MHz, with 256M PC100, and it actually ran pretty well. And that's saying something.

Xubuntu would also run rather well with that configuration; you're not on quite as limited hardware as I had been, so it's really up to you. You might as well try both LiveCDs, as you've probably got enough RAM.

(For a second I thought 1/2GB RAM meant, 1 or 2, wasn't really sure )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast