Thread: Machine Powering Off Suddenly.

Beans

Machine Powering Off Suddenly.

I've just moved into student accommodation and brought my desktop PC. I set it up and was listening to music whilst I unpacked when suddenly it turned off, as if someone had just cut the power.

At first I thought it was the extension/splitter I was using so changed it, but to no avail. I talked to the landlord and he assures me that there is nothing wrong with the plugs in the room as he always has them checked before someone moves in (The landlord is my friend's dad so I trust him). I then plugged the desktop power into a separate socket in case the extension was overloading (2 monitors, desktop and sound system). Same problem.

At one point it was cutting out literally just after log-on. Now it remains for roughly 5-6 minutes before shutting down. I thought something might be a bit funny with the software so I burned an install CD and booted into a Live Environment - same problem.

The machine powers on as if everything is normal, but will then turn off without warning as if someone has pulled the plug - this has led me to believe that there isn't anything wrong with the hardware but I could be very wrong. The machine is custom-built.

The machine was working fine roughly 2 hrs before being moved, the car journey was fairly gentle so I don't think any damage could have been done to the internal workings - I'd like some thoughts before I go and spend money on a new power supply only to find out it's something else.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Machine Powering Off Suddenly.

You may want to try another power source, in case that really is the problem. Otherwise, this can only mean a faulty PSU.

Beans

are there any over-heating issues?

Beans

Machine is cold to the touch, and conky was giving CPU and HDD temperatures well-within the normal range for the few minutes it was up.

If this is a PSU issue, is it definitely possible that it occurred during a two-hour gentle transit? Like I said the machine turns on fine, it's the staying on it seems to have a problem with.